The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
Herpin Man

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Herpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and informationHerpin Man has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Blue spotted salamander behavior

For the past several years, I've kept a small group of blue spotteds an a planted vivarium in my basement. I rarely see them. Even at night, if they are out, they are hard to find because my plank is so heavily planted. So my routine is to mist them, feed them, and move on to the next task.
For the past three weeks or so, though, I've seen them hanging around in the small water dish at night. I don't see any specific activity, just the salamanders sitting in the water. This is new behavior for them. They don't need to do it for hydration, as I keep the enclosure sufficiently damp.The temp in their enclosure is about 60f.
Any thoughts on this?
I think it is unlikely that they would breed without going through a very cold winter dormancy, as they would in the wild. But, it is worth noting, that my marbled newts exhibit the exact same behavior when they are ready to enter the water for breeding.

Herpin Man is offline   Reply With Quote