The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 29th January 2019   #1
clofuller

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: clofuller is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Cycling my tank?

Hey, Iíve been researching why my ammonia is rising so rapidly in my newly refurbished tank. Iíve read a lot about cycling your tank first for weeks. I have not done this and now Iím wondering what I should do. I do not have a separate tank to keep her in and she has just spent a few weeks in a container because ive had to fridge her so I wouldnít want to do that again. I just lost my other axie and recovered this one out of the same sickness - I just keep running into problems and concerns. Is there any way I can quickly fix this? Thanks

clofuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Cycling my tank?

Sorry for the loss of your other axolotl. Good idea to keep this one out of the tank for now. She will be fine in a container, just change 100% every day. If there is nothing living in that tank the best thing is to let the ammonia rise, add some beneficial bacteria and/or plants/decor/filter media from an established tank. If the ammonia gets really high (say, above 4ppm) then do some water changes. You'll see the nitrite rise as the ammonia falls, then nitrates rise as nitrites fall. Once you have 0 ammonia and nitrites, and nitrates up to 40ppm then the tank is ready. I usually try and stick around 20ppm of nitrates. After this you only need to do partial weekly water changes, I do 20%. Hope this helps!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, cycling, rising ammonia