The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 12th June 2019   #1
Dani736

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dani736 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Abscess Help

I posted in a different sub category but thought I would try here.

Iím very new to owning Axies. I have one who had an abscess on his head. I was unsure what to do until I found you guys here, so it went on for longer than it should have.

I eventually found a vet who would see us who has cleaned out the abscess and he is now on antibiotics.

My question is how long before he should look a bit better, he is very sick still and I am not sure he is looking any better. If anything maybe a little less active and not happy at all.

I do not want him to suffer if there is no hope. Can anyone give me an indication of what to expect when dealing with this.

Dani736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Abscess Help

I don't have any experience with this at all, but I am so glad you were able to get to a vet! How long are the antibiotics for?

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Abscess Help

its hard to find even general healing times for some reason, personally it took my axy about 2 months to regrow a circular bite out of his tail, maybe half a cm wide. hes a juvenile so maybe an adult would take slightly longer, im not entirely sure.
i know the colder end of the normal range helps promote faster healing (mid to low 60'sF/15-18c) as does great water quality so focus on that and they should heal up with time.

KumquatSquats is offline   Reply With Quote