The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Introductions Area Where new members introduce themselves.

Old 22nd May 2019   #1
Radiator3

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Radiator3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hi! Axolotl Temp Prediciment

Hey Iím new to this site and I donít know rly how to use it but ima try my best lol anyway I just got this new baby axolotl but it was born in and kept in a higher temp at around 73įF until I got him about less than a week ago. The breeder I got him from said their 2 adults are perfectly healthy at 73į. The water heís in now stands at about 70-73 and I was thinking about getting a chiller because I know they should be kept in cooler, but I donít know if I should because heís only ever lived in this warmer temperature? I havenít had him long but it seems like he is more lively when the water in the tank is on the warmer side as well? Iíve been using cold water bottles to temporarily cool it down a few degrees but the few times Iíve done this he doesnít swim around us much. Idk what to do I just wanna keep my little guy happy and healthy. (His names Radiator3 btw )

Radiator3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2019   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Hi! Axolotl Temp Prediciment

A chiller is a great idea. Even though that breeder has so far had success at those temps it's not good in the long run and can start a whole lot of health issues. You'll want to drop the temperature gradually so you don't shock the axolotl (i.e. don't go from 70 degrees to 65, have the axolotl in and the chiller will drop it degrees at a time). Frozen bottles or a fan are great ideas to drop it until you get a chiller hooked up.
Axolotls metabolism and activity do increase at warmer temperatures. Once you start dropping the temps it'll probably reduce activity and not eat as much as it did. This is all normal :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adaptation, advice needed, baby axolotl, ecology, help a member out, help and advice needed, help maintaining, temparature, temparature????, urgent