The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 24th June 2013   #1
InsanityAxolotl

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: InsanityAxolotl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clear slime in tank and on canister filter?~

Hi, Today i noticed on the bottom of the canister filter there was some white slime hanging off the tank like snot out of a 5 year olds nose. i then felt the inside of the glass and its covered in it, its not on any decor, only glass and somehow got to the bottom of the canister filter which isnt even in the water??? the axies are fine and i couldnt even see the slime before i actually felt it...
Ive scrubbed and siphoned most of...
I got the 2 new axies about 2-3 weeks ago and this happened a week ago as well and now its back..

PH 7.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 40ppm

so everything is fine as far as parametres and they are eating, i have sand as substrate which i stirr every week

I do 5% water changes every day and a 30% every week,

the 5% is after i feed i siphon around 5% out with the left over food.

There is no lighting in the tank and its away from sunlight

Temp is 16.1 stable for the last 2-3 weeks and before that 18 max.

Im wondering if this is dangerous and i read about snail eggs but i dont think snail eggs would cover 100% of glass on each side and out of water on the canister...

Thank you in advance.

InsanityAxolotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013   #2
wandering

Nationality:
Rep: wandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgwandering is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I had slime on airline tubes and stopped using a dechlorinator containing aloe vera. My new dechlorinator does not contain it and the slime has not appeared again. The axolotls are in superb condition so presumably do not need aloe vera.

Just a thought. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

wandering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2013   #3
Beks
(snuggly time)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: snuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and informationsnuggly time has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Clear slime in tank and on canister filter?~

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering View Post
I had slime on airline tubes and stopped using a dechlorinator containing aloe vera. My new dechlorinator does not contain it and the slime has not appeared again. The axolotls are in superb condition so presumably do not need aloe vera.

Just a thought. :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
This is very true. I noticed my axie tank is more slimy since I changed to a dechlorinator like this. It happened within a few days too. What type of dechlorinator do you use?

snuggly time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013   #4
Sharon
(shazza)

Nationality:
Rep: shazza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Clear slime in tank and on canister filter?~

I had the same i was originally heavy handed, had sheets of it everywhere. I measure accurately now and the slimy is almost none exsistant. am about to get new piping and flush the chiller as the pipes look a bit manky. I blame my heavy handed initially on dechloro for that. But the tank is clear as...

I did notice that when the snake was on pablo's tank and he went berko he has cuts everywhere. Within 3 to 4 days they all virtually disappeared. I put it down to the aloe vera. I still have a big bottle of it so when it eventually runs out i might change see how it goes.

shazza is offline   Reply With Quote