The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

General Discussion For general enclosure/vivarium-related discussions.

Old 5th March 2018   #1
BurnsStPete

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: BurnsStPete is an unknown quantity at this point
Default S. Salamandra vivarium suggestions

Hello everyone,

I was finally able to find a beautiful captive bred fire salamander for sale locally. I was wondering if anyone that has experience keeping the species could offer any insight on how to create the best possible enclosure. I plan on incorporating live plants and a lot of moss. I would like to add some type of small waterfall/pool in the corner for aesthetics. However, I've read that outside of breeding, fire salamanders would rarely use it and it could be a drowning hazard. Should I incorporate an automatic mister? Any substrate suggestions? All information is appreciated.

Thanks!

BurnsStPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2018   #2
Otterwoman
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 58
Comments: 71
Rep: Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11Otterwoman goes to 11
Default Re: S. Salamandra vivarium suggestions

Look at caudata culture in my sig and find the care sheet! Or look in the subsection on the forum dealing with them.

Useful Links: Caudata Culture | Species Accounts | Care Articles | Newt and Salamander FAQs | Axolotl.org | Axolotl FAQs | Forum Functions | My Blog
Otterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2018   #3
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

Salamandra require good ventilation, some types more than others (you don't mention what kind of fire salamander it is). The pool is a fine idea but keep in mind:
  • It shouldn't be more than 1-1.5 inches deep and requires steps or something to help them exit the water to prevent drowning.
  • They like to defecate in the water bowl so you will need to be able to change the water easily.
  • You must keep the water clean.

Old 7th March 2018   #4
BurnsStPete

Nationality:

Thanks John,

I don't pick it up until Saturday but judging by the photos I believe it is S. salamandra. Everything is almost set up. I'll make sure to post pictures this weekend.

Old 8th March 2018   #5
John
Founder

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 204
Comments: 118
Rep: John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)John has maxed out Caudata.org's Reputation System (we are not worthy!)

You mean a subspecies of Salamandra salamandra right? Like Salamandra salamandra salamandra, or Salamandra salamandra gallaica?

Old 8th March 2018   #6
BurnsStPete

Nationality:

Yes, sorry. I believe it to be s.s.s.

Tags
fire salamander, salamandra, terrarium, vivarium