The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 4th January 2015   #1
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: vanjaif is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Axolotl refuses to eat

Hey!

This is Skittles.
She is about 12 cm, but her age is unknown.

I picked her up 2 days ago.
The previous owner kept her:
- On gravel.
- With all kinds of fish.
- With water temperature of over 25 degrees celsius.

So she is in a very bad shape and if that wasn't enough I cant get her to eat.
She gets stressed out of her mind if i come close to the water, so hand feeding isn't an option atm.
But other wise she acts pretty normal compared to how my other lotls acted at her size.

She has been pooping a lot this last 2 days (more then my grown axolotls normally do in a week).
I have counted 8-9 pieces of gravel in her poop this far, And Im pretty sure she cant possible fit anymore in her tummy.

Since its Sunday the pet store is closed so I cant buy her any other food before tomorrow. And she refuses to touch the frozen bloodworms.

What should I do?
I don't know when she ate last time, how long can she survive while refusing food?

Just give me any advice you have on food and how to nurse her hack to health.

And last but not least: Is my axolotl an axolotl?
So many people have commented that she looks like an Andersson Salamander or some other kind of salamander.
And since Axolotls are the only kind i have had i cant really know for sure.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	711
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	40805   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	40807   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0112.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	40808   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0114.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	40809   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	865
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	40810  

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	40811   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	1066
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	40812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	40813  

vanjaif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015   #2
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl refuses to eat

Skittles is a real cutie.

She looks very plump, so I wouldn't be worried about her not eating yet. Adults can go for quite a long time without eating, and while she isn't an adult, she had been eating well (assuming it isn't all gravel in there), so a couple of days shouldn't cause permanent harm.

She has undergone some pretty big environmental changes, so it is probably just stress that is keeping her from eating. Plus, you are probably feeding her something new.

Have you tried feeding her pieces worms? Around here, we can get them at convenience stores (fish bait) that are open Sunday.

"What should you do?" Keep doing what you are doing, which is giving her good care. Be patient. Eventually, she will figure out that the food is food, and that your hand brings food, and that this new place is safe.

I have no idea if she is a "pure" axolotl or not, but is no one with more amphibian experience comments on this post, you could try posting in some of the other forums.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015   #3
Stupot1610

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 11
Comments: 4
Rep: Stupot1610 has shown reliable knowledgeStupot1610 has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanjaif View Post
Hey!

This is Skittles.
She is about 12 cm, but her age is unknown.

I picked her up 2 days ago.
The previous owner kept her:
- On gravel.
- With all kinds of fish.
- With water temperature of over 25 degrees celsius.

So she is in a very bad shape and if that wasn't enough I cant get her to eat.
She gets stressed out of her mind if i come close to the water, so hand feeding isn't an option atm.
But other wise she acts pretty normal compared to how my other lotls acted at her size.

She has been pooping a lot this last 2 days (more then my grown axolotls normally do in a week).
I have counted 8-9 pieces of gravel in her poop this far, And Im pretty sure she cant possible fit anymore in her tummy.

Since its Sunday the pet store is closed so I cant buy her any other food before tomorrow. And she refuses to touch the frozen bloodworms.

What should I do?
I don't know when she ate last time, how long can she survive while refusing food?

Just give me any advice you have on food and how to nurse her hack to health.

And last but not least: Is my axolotl an axolotl?
So many people have commented that she looks like an Andersson Salamander or some other kind of salamander.
And since Axolotls are the only kind i have had i cant really know for sure.

Thank you

Your axolotl has been through a lot by the sounds of it, so it probably won't eat for a week or so even though you have it in perfect conditions.
She may continue to pass small amounts of gravel for a week or two, when I got a couple of mine they had been kept on gravel previous to arriving in the pet shop but in the shop they were on sand, and when I got them home they were still passing gravel nearly three weeks after I bought them.
In regard to feeding, your axolotl may be more receptive to live food; earthworms etc. given its curent state. I have to say, your axolotl looks in quite good shape considering what its been through.
She will survive for a while without food, just keep persisting and eventually she will begin to eat, I'm sure. Try and keep her as cool as possible.
Your 'axolotl' does look very like an Ambystoma Andersonii, it is possible it is a hybrid Andersonii X Mexicanum or it may just be a nice looking axolotl.

Stuart

Stupot1610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2015   #4
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:

Thank you both for the answer
(I don't know if you get a notification or anything when i answer, or if I'm answering in the right way at all, Im pretty new to actually using my Caudata profile)

I actually got her to eat today! She got me really worried for a second, and I have seen so many pictures of axolotls looking all normal sized, but refused to eat, and it was just because their belly was totally full of gravel

She still acts normal and seem to be doing good. Hopefully she will heal up pretty quickly, cant wait to she how she will look when her gills get back.

Im really curious about her breed, would be nice to know for sure if she was an axolotl, andersonii or a hybrid of the two.

Old 4th January 2015   #5
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information

If you don't get and answer on this forum, ask the question on this forum: Species, Genus & Family Discussions - Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal I suspect any info on her history would help. I know there has been discussions about hybrids and the (un)desirability thereof on that forum. Some people were trying to figure out indicators of an Andersonii actually being an axolotl hybrid, so they may have figured out some characteristics to look for.

Regardless of what she is, she is beautiful!

Old 4th January 2015   #6
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
If you don't get and answer on this forum, ask the question on this forum: Species, Genus & Family Discussions - Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) at Caudata.org Newt and Salamander Portal I suspect any info on her history would help. I know there has been discussions about hybrids and the (un)desirability thereof on that forum. Some people were trying to figure out indicators of an Andersonii actually being an axolotl hybrid, so they may have figured out some characteristics to look for.

Regardless of what she is, she is beautiful!
Thanks

I have looked trough the forum but couldn't find much about it. Only about andersoni and morphing etc. or how to care for them compared to axolotls.

I may post on the forum later

Old 4th January 2015   #7
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Oops - wrong forum. Here is a link to the thread I was thinking of:http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...andersoni.html and I think that forum is the best bet on clues as to if you have a hybrid or not.

Old 5th January 2015   #8
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSuzuki View Post
Oops - wrong forum. Here is a link to the thread I was thinking of:http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-a...andersoni.html and I think that forum is the best bet on clues as to if you have a hybrid or not.

Wow thanks! That link kind of answered my question. One of the hybrids there looks almost like Skittles (my axolotl, not axolotl)

Ill post my pictures there to be sure to get it confirmed

Thank you so much

Old 29th January 2015   #9
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:

After she passed this huge stone (+ 7 smaller ones) she is finally eating like a pig haha and her gills and toes are starting to grow back!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1457.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	41153   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1458.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	41154  

Old 29th January 2015   #10
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Quote:
After she passed this huge stone (+ 7 smaller ones) she is finally eating like a pig haha and her gills and toes are starting to grow back!
Wow - that's a big stone! She is so lucky that she passed it. I'm glad to hear that her gills are growing back.

Old 31st January 2015   #11
selkie

Nationality:
Rep: selkie has started on the right path

Quote:
I hope that's a CM measure!!

selkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2015   #12
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkie View Post
I hope that's a CM measure!!
I thought it was an inches ruler! Lol She is still lucky to have passed it! Glad she is eating.

Old 2nd February 2015   #13
Vanja
(vanjaif)

Nationality:

haha it's luckily in cm! But as she is only 12 cm, carrying this rock is crazy! it must have filled up 1/4 of her belly.

Tags
axolotl, sick axolot