View Desktop Site Register
Caudata.org - Newts & Salamanders
Earthworms, Nightcrawlers, etc>Keeping earthworms
Satsumas 18:37 13th April 2018
If I order enough dendrobaena worms for an axie to eat 2 every day for a month (in one go), can they last for a month in a fridge? (If 2 worms a day is ideal). This would be roughly 60 worms, so does anyone know how much space they would take up in a fridge and how to keep them alive for a month? -I donít currently own an axolotl and donít want to start a wormery- Thanks

tinasvfx 00:31 14th April 2018
I usually keep worms in the fridge, but I generally get a dozen every two weeks or so. Although i've never done it, i believe you can actually freeze them, but you'd have to thaw it out if it's for an axie.

tinasvfx 03:56 14th April 2018
I would think they would start to die on you after that long in the fridge, but I'm honestly not sure. I usually buy enough for two weeks at a time.

Otterwoman 00:04 15th April 2018
I keep nightcrawlers in the fridge for months.
But you CANNOT freeze earthworms. They will absolutely die, and when they thaw, you will have the stinkiest mess you can imagine. There are few things I have smelled in my life that smell as bad as rotten worms, and I am a nurse.

Satsumas 15:44 15th April 2018
Thanks for the advice everyone :) can anyone recommend how much to feed an axolotl as Iíve heard varying opinions
Thanks

aalysaz 23:21 16th April 2018
Donít they usually eat until theyíre full? Iíve heard to just estumate the amount you put in their tank and then clean out whatís left after 1 to 2 hours.

tinasvfx 20:33 26th April 2018
Originally Posted by Otterwoman:
I keep nightcrawlers in the fridge for months.
But you CANNOT freeze earthworms. They will absolutely die, and when they thaw, you will have the stinkiest mess you can imagine. There are few things I have smelled in my life that smell as bad as rotten worms, and I am a nurse.
I worked in a senior home, so I know what you mean and totally agree. Rotted/dead worms are one of the nastiest smells!

Tags:axolotl beginner, worms
Reply Up
AdminCP