The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 3rd January 2015   #1
suitable4frank

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: suitable4frank is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Tank naturally sitting at 20 degrees

I've recently set up a new 180L tank (been running for 3 days now) and it's naturally sitting at 20 degrees.
I have no idea how to lower it permanently. I can't afford a chiller and I don't really see the point seen as I literally have to lower it by 2-4 degrees.
I've been leaving the lid open to help evaporation: nothing. Turned off all radiators in my room: nothing. Installed air stones to keep up a little water movement: nothing. And turned off all lights in that area: nothing.
My current tank sits at about 17 degrees and it's pretty much right next door to this new one.
Can anyone help at all?

suitable4frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015   #2
Laura
(LSuzuki)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: LSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and informationLSuzuki has given good advice and information
Default Re: Tank naturally sitting at 20 degrees

Swap thermometers between the tanks. They may just be reading differently.

LSuzuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015   #3
suitable4frank

Nationality:
Rep: suitable4frank is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I have, I even put the thermometer in my tropical tank to make sure it was reading correctly and it seems fine.

suitable4frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015   #4
Michael Shrom
(michael)
2010 Research Grant Donor

Nationality:
Rep: michael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgmichael is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Blow a small fan over the top of the warmer tank. It will drop the temp by evaporative cooling.

michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
temperature