The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 26th November 2017   #1
Aesyir

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Is it okay to keep a newt in a wine cooler (temporary)

Im getting a newt soon and the species im getting likes cooler water than my ambient temp. I am still cycling my tank so ill be keeping them in a decently sized plastic tub and do 100% water changes daily. I am going to build a water chiller with a peltier i had one that worked well in the past i just dont have it anymore. So for the time being I was going to keep them in a wine chiller set to the correct temp. My worry is if they will suffocate the way the wine chiller works it looks like it takes in air from the out sides cools it then brings it in but i just want to be safe, thank you for your time.

EDIT: Sorry I could be wrong but newts can absorb oxygen through their skin in the water right?

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2017   #2
Nativenewt

Nationality:
Rep: Nativenewt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it okay to keep a newt in a wine cooler (temporary)

They newt won't suffocate as long as there is oxygen in the water and access to air. You might not want to do 100 percent water changes because the water quality difference cold be detrimental to the newt as they are sensitive to the surrounding environment.

Nativenewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017   #3
Aesyir

Nationality:
Rep: Aesyir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it okay to keep a newt in a wine cooler (temporary)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativenewt View Post
They newt won't suffocate as long as there is oxygen in the water and access to air. You might not want to do 100 percent water changes because the water quality difference cold be detrimental to the newt as they are sensitive to the surrounding environment.
Well, the tub they will be in is not that big only a gallon or two so I don't want nitrate or ammonia to spike in there so i think its my only choice. I see people do 100% changed when they fridge their axolotls so I thought it would be okay.

Aesyir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newt, temperature