The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th December 2019   #1
XxIcefire

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: XxIcefire is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sick Axolotl?

I was changing my axolotlís water yesterday and I noticed these red dots on him (I know heís too young to be sexed, but Iím holding out hope). Iím thinking the one on his tail is a bite as I put him with my other one while cleaning the tubs.

https://imgur.com/a/bpHrJp3

A little info:
Heís almost 6 months old
The tank is not quite done so heís in a tub with 100% daily water changes
Seems to be eating just fine

XxIcefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2019   #2
Cgilliam9x19

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Cgilliam9x19 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sick Axolotl?

It doesnít look alarming to me. I would just call it normal pigment. unless it gets worse, I wouldnít worry about it :)

Cgilliam9x19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2019   #3
Kitan

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 1
Rep: Kitan has given good advice and informationKitan has given good advice and information
Default Re: Sick Axolotl?

No, that's not normal coloring. That is petechiae, which is blood under the surface of the skin (think like what you get from a hickey or if you bang your thumb with a hammer). That really could ALL be from another axolotl, but could also be the start of something more concerning, though I dont expect it is.

Honestly my suggestion is, if he is eating/pooping well, and you are doing 100% daily water changes, then there likely isnt anything to be concerned about. Keep doing what you are doing and just keep an eye on him. If while segregated he continues to get more spots, then come back and we'll see what we can find out, but I expect he is okay :)

Kitan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, axolotl, red dots, tail