The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Gallery Post photos of axolotls and set-ups.

Old 20th May 2007   #1
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: teesha has started on the right path
Question Axanthic?

i have editted a picture of an axie i used to own. Now the left side is the edited part- that is the pale purply grey colour of the axy i am buying tommorow. Now the right is the shade of wildtype he was( a lighter wild type). Is that an azanthic? there is no irridophores and no axanthophores. I had to get him, never seen anything like him in real life before! He looks perfectly healthy other then a cut on his lip. Which i'm sure will heal lovely!
Now about quaretine....how long?
he is smart too-he hunts by smell where as my current one does by movement! (for an g.albino she has the best sence of sight ever! she follows me around the room!)
thanx!
Attached Images

teesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007   #2
kapo
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: kapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgkapo is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

30 days for quarantine Teesha. Look forward to seeing photos of your new edition

kapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007   #3
mantighoul
Caudata.org Donor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 2
Rep: mantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and informationmantighoul has given consistently good advice and information

First of all, the axolotl in your photo is drop dead gorgeous, I been looking for one like that for some time.

I have been trying to read about axanthic and xanthic axolotls. If the axolotl you found was axanthic, that would be amazing. I read in some reports a a while ago about high mortality associated with axanthic axolotls. I wonder if any papers have been published recently that figured this out. If it isn't axanthic, it could bea sort of melanistic. I would really like some of the axolotl experts on this baord to say something about axanthic and xanthic 'lotlts or at least show me the way to some journals/articles discussing the subject.

mantighoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007   #4
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:

yeh that axolotl died! . But i kept him a good 6-7 months before he did. i think its the australian water being dodgey and all in our drought.
my new one i have just taken photos of but the **** camera and the dodgey flash ruined his true colours.
this is a very bad picture but the best to showing his true colours. So what do you recon? Axanthic?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axanthic1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	202  

Old 21st May 2007   #5
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:

ok how silly of me....i just realied it can't be axanthic....as axanthics must be albino....am i right?
Well its a dazzeling colour none the less- looks like another female! I would have liked to breed her with mine....but they are both female! (i think) anyways, its cool either way!

Old 21st May 2007   #6
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:

i dunno it is starting to look like a wild type now....but it does not have irridophores at all, so it can't be. Must be a axanthic melanoid? its very light, has got the dark pigment. and im pretty sure no yellow. i feel so stupid now! hehe

Old 21st May 2007   #7
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Melanoid animals have highly reduced iridophores and xanthophores. Axanthic animals rarely survive past hatching, and I know of VERY few that have made it to adulthood. They are very sensitive, and die easily. Melanoid animals, having reduced xanthophores, are often called axanthic, when they are not truly axanthic.

Unless you know the genetics of the parents, and their parents, and all of this one's siblings, it would be hard to say. I doubt it's axanthic. It looks like a light melanoid.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2007   #8
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:
Default merged posts

mine has basically no pigment other then a few (spotting) of the dark pigment (forget what it's called)

i think you are right, it looks like a light melanoid. i thought an axanthic was any axy without yellow pigment? But as you can tell i am VERY confused!

EDIT
Teesha - if you're adding another post within minutes to an hour of each other, just use edit.

Last edited by kapo; 21st May 2007 at 12:33. Reason: merged posts, posted within minutes of each, should have been added through edit button
Old 21st May 2007   #9
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Axanthics have no xanthophores (yellow pigment cells). Melanoids have reduced xanthophores, which are usually poorly expressed, or not expressed at all, and no iridophores (the 'shiny' pigment cells). Melanin is the dark pigment. It's produced and expressed in the melanophores.

Axanthics rarely survive as it seems the chemicals that would otherwise be created in the xanthophores have consequences reaching past color genetics. I don't recall which organs specifically, but the chemicals are important for survival, making axanthics weak with a failure to thrive.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007   #10
Teesha Vella
(teesha)

Nationality:

yes sorry i'm still getting used to how this new forum is working! i will use edit from now on! Thanks kaysie! I'm pretty certain she has no irridphores coz there is none in her eyes...its just the dark pigment...no yellow that i can see. I'll use my sisters camera one day to get a better picture.

Tags
axanthic