The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 13th March 2011   #1
DingoDoo

Gallery Images:
Comments:
Default Hatchling has a black spot!

The little hatchling that has the broken tail I have noticed has a black dot on one side of its body. I presume its the heart, however none of the other hatchlings show this. Only this one.
I have uploaded my lated pics on another thread but was curious as to what anyone thougt about the black dot, why one has it and others dont.

Pics are here

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...tml#post273754

Old 13th March 2011   #2
animalloversfb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: animalloversfb has given good advice and informationanimalloversfb has given good advice and information
Default Re: Hatchling has a black spot!

Its hard to see what you are talking about in the pictures - I can see a dot in the 2nd picture of it, and I think that's what you are talking about. I believe that is likely just some pigmentation or maybe the kidney? However, since only one has it, I'd say pigment is more likely There's some anatomy on this page:

Axolotls - Biology

animalloversfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2011   #3
DingoDoo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalloversfb View Post
Its hard to see what you are talking about in the pictures - I can see a dot in the 2nd picture of it, and I think that's what you are talking about. I believe that is likely just some pigmentation or maybe the kidney? However, since only one has it, I'd say pigment is more likely There's some anatomy on this page:

Axolotls - Biology
this is the pics i was talking about

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 14th March 2011   #4
animalloversfb

Nationality:
Rep: animalloversfb has given good advice and informationanimalloversfb has given good advice and information

In all the photos I see the red organ(which is either the heart or the liver), but only in the second photo did a see a black dot, but it was hard to tell if that was THE dot or food that got in the picture. If that's the dot you are talking about, I'd say pigment is more likely than an organ. The heart is further up towards the head from the link I posted about anatomy.

animalloversfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011   #5
Cif

Nationality:
Rep: Cif is an unknown quantity at this point

Mine hatchlings all have the red spot; I assumed that's the heart. So I don't think he means that as a black spot I can't see a black spot either, though.

Cif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2011   #6
DingoDoo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cif View Post
Mine hatchlings all have the red spot; I assumed that's the heart. So I don't think he means that as a black spot I can't see a black spot either, though.

sorry, but it looks black to me thats why i called it a black spot.
I did think it was the heart but strange this one is really obvious but none of the others is visible.

Old 19th March 2011   #7
oceanblue
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 3
Rep: oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11oceanblue goes to 11

The red spot on the side is spleen. If you want to see the heart look from underneath (nearly in the neck) with a magnifying glass. You can see the heartbeat.

oceanblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2011   #8
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Hmm, do you mean this little dot?:
Attached Images

Old 20th March 2011   #9
DingoDoo

Gallery Images:
Comments:

how can no one see the black spot, its huge and so obvious

Old 20th March 2011   #10
alexx

Nationality:
Comments: 2
Rep: alexx has started on the right path

Hate to break it to you but that's red and it's the heart. It kind of needs that to live?

alexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2011   #11
Dolores/Alice
(Morrison)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 12
Comments: 4
Rep: Morrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and informationMorrison has given consistently good advice and information

Oh that huge... red... thing. I thought it was the stomach or so.... When they eat life brine shrimp it will turn bigger and more 'orange' :P

Old 21st March 2011   #12
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanblue View Post
The red spot on the side is spleen. If you want to see the heart look from underneath (nearly in the neck) with a magnifying glass. You can see the heartbeat.
What OceanBlue said.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote