The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 14th December 2012   #1
l0uiswh0

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: l0uiswh0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cynops Orientalis - Impaction? Tail Rot?

Hello all,

I have two (presumably) female newts left. Both have been the picture of health since I got them, always much rounder, bigger and stronger than the poor malnourished little guys, all three of whom I lost One of them is worrying me though.

She's always had a slight dip, of sorts, in her tail... sort of like a chunk was taken out of it once upon a time but healed right up. Now I've noticed the edges of that lil dip sort of fraying. I can't see any signs of fungus or rot, so I'm a bit bewildered. Should I give her a gentle salt bath just in case?

She has also always been much fatter than the other. I was worried for a long time that she was impacted, but having looked at pictures of impacted newts I don't think she's nearly that bad. Just.. chubby. I think she's pooping ok, but it's hard to tell without isolating her, which I'd really rather avoid. Could she just be chubby?

I'm aware that this would be much easier with pictures, but the one time I need her to sit still she just won't... will do my best and upload some shortly.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

l0uiswh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2012   #2
l0uiswh0

Nationality:
Rep: l0uiswh0 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cynops Orientalis - Impaction? Tail Rot?

Click the image to open in full size.

l0uiswh0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2012   #3
Dave
(wargar)

Nationality:
Rep: wargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and informationwargar has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Cynops Orientalis - Impaction? Tail Rot?

Hi,

It's hard to make out the ragged end thing on the tail from the photo's, however I can't see any sign of infection .I have 2 older females (8 years old) with the same irregular tails, at first I thought they would regenerate or dissapear on shedding but they never did and they still have them now,

wargar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cynops orientalis, fire bellied newt, impaction, tail rot