The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Mole Salamanders but not tigers or axolotls (Ambystomatids) These large-mouthed, burrowing salamanders are indigenous to Central and North America.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Hydroplane22

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hydroplane22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Outdoor Ambystoma Maculata Enclosure in MD

I am beginning construction of an outdoor enclosure for Ambystoma Macualta. it will be 4x4 feet and 15" tall. the enclosure will be 10" into the ground to allow them to burrow. the goal is to add a water source in the spring time and hopefully allow seasonal changes to initiate breeding. i have a few questions that im hoping people with outdoor enclosures can hep out answering them. first, what can i line the bottom with to prevent them from burrowing out? i was planning on putting galvanized rat wire on the bottom, no sure how well it would work. i considered pond liner, but didin't want the soil to become water logged. Also, how much space is needed for around 3 adult pairs? is a 4x4 foot enclosure overkill?

Hydroplane22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Julia
(bellabelloo)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 19
Comments: 13
Rep: bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11bellabelloo goes to 11
Default Re: Outdoor Ambystoma Maculata Enclosure in MD

My outdoor enclosures are all lined with pond liner, which I put holes in to allow some drainage. My enclosures are under trees and the rain rarely gets into the enclosure so the liner is used for holding onto some moisture. This is lined first with chicken wire to deter escapees. Do take into consideration that you may need to protect your animals from predators.
I think the size will be fine as long as you provide lots of hiding areas. I use broken terracotta pots. tree bark,moss, leaves, slate etc

bellabelloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #3
Pierson Hill
(pierson_hill)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: pierson_hill has given consistently good advice and informationpierson_hill has given consistently good advice and informationpierson_hill has given consistently good advice and information
Default Re: Outdoor Ambystoma Maculata Enclosure in MD

Sounds like a good plan. You'll want to have some sort of lid or lip around the upper edge of the enclosure to keep salamanders in and predators out. Pond liner may work better over the long run than galvanized wire, which might eventually corrode away. Some pond liners can last up to 30 years. Maybe cut some drainage holes in it and silicone some fiberglass screen over the holes to prevent escape. I'd consider creating a larger water area for breeding (e.g. buried kiddy pool) unless you plan on removing egg masses or hatchling larvae and raising them elsewhere. Even a 4' diameter kiddy pool will only support 10-20 larvae to metamorphosis.

Even in the study of animals disagreeable to perception, the nature that crafted them likewise provides extraordinary pleasures to those who are able to know their causes and are by nature philosophers. - Aristotle, De partibus animalium I. 5
pierson_hill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breeding, maculata, outdoor enclosure, spotted salamander