The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl tank set-ups, filters, substrate Discussions on tanks, temperature, filters, gravel, lights etc.

Old 3rd January 2016   #1
mushutheaxie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: mushutheaxie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tips on keeping the temp down in the tank?

Are there any tips anyone has for keeping down the temperature in the tanks? When I left the house it was at a good 62-63 degrees but when I got home I noticed his tank got to 70 degrees and it really worried me! (I've seen it before get to 73 degrees)

my axie has been growing tremendously, is incredibly active, and eats just fine. But these temperature spikes are NOT good I'm sure. Right now I got the temp down to 68.3 right now and it's continuing to drop back down. Is there any way I can keep his tank on the colder side without having to buy a chiller? (i've heard those can be quite expensive...)

What do you guys use to keep your tanks cold?

mushutheaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2016   #2
Skudo09
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Skudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and informationSkudo09 has given consistently excellent advice and information
Default Re: Tips on keeping the temp down in the tank?

Ultimately a chiller is the best cooling method available but yes they can be quite pricey. Facing fans over the water surface, having a mesh lid rather than a solid hood lid, limiting lighting of having lights that don't produce too much heat, wrapping damp towels around the outside of the tank can help.

Tags
cold, temperature issues, too hot