The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 2nd October 2018   #1
veeveeiey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: veeveeiey is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Axolotl Has A Lump

Hello! This is my very first time posting on this website, and it's helped me out very much in acclimating me into getting my very first axolotl. I picked him up at a reptile expo from a reputable breeder, so I'm fairly certain he wasn't sick or anything when I first got him. He's been doing great: I have him in a 20L with a constant temp between 60-65, plenty of hiding spaces, very fine sand for substrate, he's been eating rather little but very eagerly (chopped up earth worm), tank parameters are good, and he has no gill or tail curling!
But for some reason, out of nowhere, he began to form a HUGE lump on his left side, and a significant dent on his right side. I have no idea why because he seems to be doing great, but it's developed very quickly over the course of a week and half. Despite his body looking horribly deformed since he's so little (8 1/2 cm), he seems to be doing just fine! But it just looks so bad, I don't know what I could attribute it to. My small theory is that maybe I'm inadvertently underfeeding him? He does this thing where he'll eat about three pieces of earthworm and done, and I think he's full and I read that babies eat once a day so I call it, but in fact maybe he's still hungry? I don't quite know what it is yet, I'm still so inexperienced but I'm deeply worried about him!! I hope I don't sound super silly and I'm just missing some common knowledge thing amongst experienced keepers! Please help!
The first picture with black circles was taken on September 24th, showing his smooth sides. The second picture with the red circles was taken just yesterday, and it looks horrible!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leche 1.jpeg
Views:	91
Size:	379.1 KB
ID:	54409   Click image for larger version

Name:	leche 2.jpeg
Views:	98
Size:	341.9 KB
ID:	54410  

veeveeiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl Has A Lump

Have you noticed if he's been pooping okay? I'm not entirely sure what may be causing it, potentially digestion issue. The axie is pretty small so watch for him eating sand as it can cause impaction in little guys.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2018   #3
veeveeiey

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: veeveeiey is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Axolotl Has A Lump

Funny you should mention, I just cleaned his tank out and hes pooped twice- and his body is back to normal!!!! I guess he was just a little backed up? Thank you so much for your reply!

veeveeiey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2018   #4
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Axolotl Has A Lump

Great! Must have been digestion then. Watch out for it in future but if it's gone I wouldn't really worry :)

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baby, body, deformity, lump, young