The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
Lorry88

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lorry88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fungus

Hello,

Hoping I can get some help on here. I lost an axolotl back in the summer when we had the heatwave. I thought it might have been the fluctuations in temperature as I was cooling down the tank but it was have also been a filtration issue. Anyway my other axolotl in the same tank was fine.

She has continued to be fine for the last few months but over the last week she has developed fungus on her gills. This has happened previously on her feet but a salt bath usually solves it. However, this time I have been salt bathing daily and sure enough the fungus went but one day not doing a salt bath and it's back with vengeance. I have also been putting methiline blue in the tank incase there is a bacterial problem.

On top of this she ( I think she may actually be a he) has been stressing out alot, the first salt baths she wouldn't stop splashing about and in the tank she has been dive bombing the sides hanging vertically in the corner and gulping air. These where all things her sibling did before she died so I am extremely worried.

In terms of water, it is changed weekly and sometimes more often if she hasn't eaten and food needs hoovering up. She currently hasn't eaten in weeks. The nitrites are 0, ammonia 0 but nitrates 60 or 80 ( can't tell).

Could the nitrates cause this is and how can I bring them down? I did around 70% water change but not difference so worried my tap water has nitrates in so not helping the situation.

Otherwise how can I remove the fungus? Currently she has calmed down again and hasn't been going up for air but the fungus is still on her gills.

Thank you

Lorry88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
Lorry88

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Lorry88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fungus

Just to add, I haven't tried fridging as my fridge likes to pretend it's a freezer every now and then and do may not be safe for a long period.

Lorry88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, floating, fungus gills, gulping air, help and advice needed, newbie, not eating, sick, urgent help