The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 20th October 2009   #1
AgonyRose

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: AgonyRose is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Growing gill fluff

Are growing gills a sign that my axie is healthy? I have been so worried and paranoid about raising my little axie right. I have owned large ones before but most of them werent the healthiest when I recieved them. This one is the first one I have purchased from a breeder and the first baby one I have ever had. I have only had him for 2 weeks and in this time he has grown tremendously. His overall size is much larger and his gill fluff is at least twice the size it was when I got him. They seem much fluffier and feathery too where before they were just kind of spiky. Is this a good sign? I just want him to be happy and healthy

AgonyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2009   #2
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11
Default Re: Growing gill fluff

Sounds normal to me, I think. When you say gill "fluff", you mean just the normal pink or red branches of the gills, right? You don't mean that the gills are growing fluffy white gunk?

Old 22nd October 2009   #3
AgonyRose

Nationality:

Yes. I am talking about the feathery part of the gills. There isnt any sign of cottony looking growths or anything. I was just completely amazed at how quickly he is growing all together. How fast do they usually get to full size? Its only been about 2 weeks and he is at least double the size

Old 22nd October 2009   #4
Jennewt
Administrator

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 97
Comments: 46
Rep: Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11Jennewt goes to 11

What are you feeding him, Miracle Grow? Just kidding, they grow VERY fast at that stage, nothing to worry about! With good feeding they can reach nearly full size at 5-6 months after hatching. The first couple of months growth is slower, but he was probably past that stage before you got him.

Old 22nd October 2009   #5
AgonyRose

Nationality:

Wow. Its amazing to watch these little guys grow. I'm having a really great time with this one. My past experiences with axies have just been disappointing but I finally did some research and decided to buy from a breeder instead of local pet stores. It is very satisfying to have a healthy happy animal. Thanks for the feedback. I will try to post some pics of him soon.

Tags
fluff, gill, growing