The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 16th June 2016   #1
Leidybug

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Leidybug is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Axolotl with a... Gill growing out of a gill?

I was checking on my little Kip today, and noticed that one of his gill feathers, well.. Has gill feathers growing out of it! Has anyone else seen this before? I have attached an image, and this can be seen from the top right gill stalk.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	47234  

Leidybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016   #2
Donna
(Donna001)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Donna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and informationDonna001 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Axolotl with a... Gill growing out of a gill?

Hi Leidybug and welcome to the forum.

Kip is a very cute little axolotl and he's looking good. It is possible that he has had some slight damage to a gill and it is regenerating. When I got mine the juvenile wild type had half a gill missing and it has grown back branched.

Donna001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2016   #3
Jacquie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 9
Comments: 12
Rep: Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11Jacquie goes to 11

The axolotl in my avatar has a front foot that regrew 'palm upwards'. As a result, the leg twirls like a bizarre looking windmill whenever she chooses to waddle about the tank rather than swim. It doesn't slow her down any though, as she's nearly always the first to get to the food, and she's still a very graceful swimmer. Her foot has been part of her unique charm for the past six or so years.

Your lovely thread has given me the perfect name for one of my newest gang members (she's a big female gold, so damnit I couldn't call her Smaug!). Her name shall be Asymmetrical - Sym for short. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum!

Useful links: Forum Rules | Axolotl Caresheets | Axolotl Sanctuary | Axolotl FAQ| Water Quality FAQ | Caudata Culture Articles
Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016   #4
NYC Axolotl
(tipnatee)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: tipnatee has shown reliable knowledge

A long time ago I had one of my my very first axolotl name Lucy (she leucistic) . She had only 1 pointy toe on the right foot , I bought her from the pet store that was going out of business, she was already very old when I got her . She look like a foot long happy captain crunch . I thought she'll grow back the foot in a few year but it never did till one day she accidentally jammed that point one toe/foot in to the very small crack of her old cave during water change,she got freak out and ripped half of her own leg off dangling. So to treat the dead hanging half leg I had no choice but to clip it out so it won't get infected or fungus .... Surprisingly enough it starting to grow a baby size whole foot with all the Little complete number of toes!! But the growth was extremely slow, not using to her new toes she tucked her whole leg behind her back while walking as old lady with one hand behind her back she passed away just last year ... I miss her

tipnatee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2016   #5
AxieDaxie
(JadeAnnette)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: JadeAnnette is an unknown quantity at this point

my little one has always had something similar, its always just stayed the same though it doesnt grow or anything?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160721_150247.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	47556  

JadeAnnette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, feathers, gill, kip