The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotls (Ambystoma mexicanum) A dedicated topic for those seeking help with Axolotls, showing off your photos, or just to talk about them.

Old 4th April 2019   #1
Tjebb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 1
Rep: Tjebb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Food Farm Thingy? (I don't know what they are called)

Is it possible to give my axolotl feeder fish and have them breed and he eats them as they produce? So like a farm thingy? What could I "farm" for him? What do you guys do? And can they be in the same tank or no?

My wording is kinda off, I am sorry.

Also, what do you guys recommend to feed an axolotl. Right now Dollar is on a diet of axolotl pellets, mealworms, and bloodworms. The mealworms are a rare treat, and I take the head off, don't worry.

Tjebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #2
Viking

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Food Farm Thingy? (I don't know what they are called)

You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #3
Tjebb

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Rep: Tjebb is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
You would need lots of space like 500+ gallons of water to raise fish to feed one axolotl. And fish food costs $30/lb. It is not the best diet. There might be a way to raise enough worms. The cheapest method is probably pellets. If you are spending 2 hours a week doing something you don't like it turns into work. I would love to hear other ideas from people.

I raise Daphnia which great. It is impossible for me to raise all I would want. I have a 3000 gallon tank outside. It is an old horse tank. When axolotls get big enough, they no longer notice them.
Thanks! So I won't have the space, as I don't have a big enough tank. Is there any diet you recommend for axolotls? If it is possible to farm worms, that would be nice. I'll look into that, and see if I could do it.
Thank you for the help!

Tjebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2019   #4
Viking

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: Viking is an unknown quantity at this point

I have heard of people raising red wigglers. Many animals do not like the taste.

Here is the link to this discussing food.

http://www.axolotl.org/feeding.htm

Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2019   #5
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

You can set up a nightcrawler worm farm, it's the best diet for axolotls. I don't live in the same country as you but you can usually buy worm farm kits. It also gives you worm juice which is great if you have a garden/plants. Stay away from red wrigglers if you can, some people don't have issues but axolotls will often refuse them.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
farm, feeding