The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 11th July 2014   #1
Siren1171

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Siren1171 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with Siren wounds. Bacterial or Fungal?

Hi all, this is my first post here. I have had an Intermediate (or greater?) Siren for about a year now, without any problems. She loves to eat and mosey around. However, 15 hrs ago I noticed some pretty bad wounds, ulceration-like, on her tail, and some milder ones on her lower torso. The bad ones you can see pink flesh tissue and yellow adipose? tissue. The smaller ones are just plain white. Also, I noticed some small "peeling" skin on the tips of her external gills. I am having a hard time figuring out if it is bacterial or fungal. If I do not know the exact pathogen, I am unsure how to treat her. I made an album with some pics for possible identification Siren wounds - Imgur

When I first noticed it (15 hours ago) I pulled her out of the regular tank and put her in her own tank, which is just a clear plastic 12 gallon bin, with treated water filled up to 7 inches in height (seems to be the most comfortable height when she occasionally comes up for air gulps, which she always has done), and with her own bubbler.
I also added tea tree extract MELAFIX according to the directions on the bottle. (Daily dose for 7 days)
I took out the filter, since I read that the carbon in them can remove the medication in the water.
After 12 hrs, I did a water change.

So far, I can't tell if there has been any change.

Should I attempt to give her a salt bath? How often should I do water changes? I have looked on this forum, and there doesn't seem to be treatments specifically for Sirens, I am not sure if the pathogen is a fungus, plus, the open sores would probably hurt a lot more if I do a salt bath.

Siren1171 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacterial, fungal, infection, sick, siren, sore, wound