The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Sick Axolotl? Axolotl looking down in the gills? The doctors are in.

Old 1st July 2018   #1
Leah
(Hoagii)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Hoagii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Water change mistake, stressed axie

I effed up royally. Last night I did a ~30% water change in my 30g tank, and forgot to put dechlorinater in the water (it sat for ~3hrs, but not long enough). My axolotl was acting strange, and I realized about 30min later. I added the correct amount of dechlorinater, and then some extra because I was worried. I did some googling and got the impression that I should be ok.

I got up this morning and my axolotl had those dreaded curled gills. I moved him to a 10g plastic tote with 100% fresh dechlorinated water. He's looking even worse!

I tested the water in my tank and it's still negative for ammonia. I did notice that the pH had change, likely from my overuse of conditioner last night.

I don't know what to do! It's not ammonia stress, and the chlorine is gone, but he looks horrible! Please help. I'm desperate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180701_071910.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	53634  

Hoagii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Water change mistake, stressed axie

He should be okay and recover over the next couple of days as long as he is in dechlorinated water. He is just stressed from it. Keep his water nice and cool and you should see improvement soon. He is okay to be in his tank :)
Don't beat yourself up over it, it's always the simple things we forget!

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ammonia, chlorine