The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

View Poll Results: Which salamander is most active/visible in its enclosure?

Marbled Salamander 1 33.33%
Tiger Salamander 2 66.67%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 4 Weeks Ago   #1
MnGuy

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marbled vs Tiger Salamander

Hey All,

Which one would you recommend -- marbled salamander or tiger salamander -- if I wanted a salamander that I'll see moving about its enclosure at least some of the time? I know all salamanders will be secretive, but I'm not interested in something that's going to be burrowed 100% of the time.

And what's your experience with each?

Thank you for your thoughts and time!

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #2
NinjaNewt

Nationality:
Rep: NinjaNewt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marbled vs Tiger Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy View Post
Hey All,

Which one would you recommend -- marbled salamander or tiger salamander -- if I wanted a salamander that I'll see moving about its enclosure at least some of the time? I know all salamanders will be secretive, but I'm not interested in something that's going to be burrowed 100% of the time.

And what's your experience with each?

Thank you for your thoughts and time!
Spotted salamanders are like that sometimes, or at least some of mine. Also, I've heard some ruber salamanders act like that, but if you want a for sure active species I'd go for one of the two that you mentioned or fire salamanders.

NinjaNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #3
MnGuy

Nationality:
Rep: MnGuy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Marbled vs Tiger Salamander

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaNewt View Post
Spotted salamanders are like that sometimes, or at least some of mine. Also, I've heard some ruber salamanders act like that, but if you want a for sure active species I'd go for one of the two that you mentioned or fire salamanders.
Thanks for the great info. Whenever possible I like to adopt/buy pets from people are trying to find new homes for, and a marbled salamander came up in my neck of the woods. I had always thought about getting a tiger salamander, so I wasn't well-versed in marbled salamander care/behavior. It's rare to come across tiger salamanders (or any, really) for sale locally.

MnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote