The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 4th June 2013   #1
Rachel
(yellowpebble)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Selling a rare axolotl?

Hey guys!

I have raised a cute piebald axolotl over the last year, she was the baby of my copper and wild type. She is fully grown now and I am considering selling her.

I'm having a weird mental struggle over it however.

Why i consider selling her:

- money, i know people would pay a lot to own her.

- I won't be breeding my axolotls again, and i know so many others who would love the opportunity to observe the genetics of the piebald/harlequin... so would I! but i will not have the time or energy to invest in more babies any time soon.

- might as well? Its a cool specimen to release into the axi community. I'm not very active on the forums any more and some one else could be posting updates of her progress.

Why i feel bad about it:

- I know she would be worth a bit but I also feel bad about selling her as any more special than the other beautiful pet axies.

- I raised her

- I would want to give her away for the most money (naturally) but feel sort of weird about auctioning a pet?

________

Should i be selling her to the highest bidder just because she is special? should i be thinking of selling her at all? I know other people here would take great care of her and I would keep in contact. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0183.jpg
Views:	5226
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	31301  

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #2
Rach
(racheljritchie)

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: racheljritchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Selling a rare axolotl?

wow, i had never seen or heard of a piebald axolotl before! Cool, i would be having a dilemma too, i have some babies i will be selling soon and i am gettin attached to them!!

racheljritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #3
Rachel
(yellowpebble)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 4
Rep: yellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgyellowpebble is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Rach! we have the same name! aw yiss

I know how that feels too! The way i did it was by convincing myself that because I had so many, they would be in better hands after selling them because that person would have more time to invest in the one they bought than me, and that it would be raised better. Good luck!

yellowpebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #4
Hannah
(hannahll)

Nationality:
Rep: hannahll has shown reliable knowledge

I say if you sell her, sell her to a breeder.

hannahll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #5
Chris
(iChris)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: iChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and informationiChris has given consistently excellent advice and information

I'd consider taking it but getting it to Perth is another matter.

Old 4th June 2013   #6
Kaysie
(Kaysie)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 45
Comments: 62
Rep: Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11Kaysie goes to 11

Keep her, make babies. Sell the babies.

Kaysie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013   #7
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

I'm sure many breeders would be interested in her, and try to prove out the genetics. That will take a couple years and will be an investment in both time and money, but if it is a simple recessive, it will well be worth it.

With that being said, you can either sell her now, sell her het offspring, and/or take the time to create more of her yourself. I can see how the time needed can seem daunting, so it's understandable that you want to sell her now.

If you do sell her, a higher price nearly guarantees her well-being in the future. It's a win-win situation.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013   #8
Caitie
(Minniechild)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Minniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and informationMinniechild has given consistently excellent advice and information

Perhaps keep her, and then you can loan her out over june-august for breeding. From my own point of view, you have a special bond with her, and you love her enough to put some seriously deep thought into her future. It doesn't really matter if we don't get updates on her, what matters is that she is with someone who loves her, knows her, and respects her. I'd say you tick all the boxes quite well, and heaven knows that you don't want to come out of this with any regrets. Not to mention, is money really going to be enough compensation if she isn't there?
(I hereby disclaim that I am in a state of just possibly having lost my own "super special" baby, so I am very heavily biased on the matter...)

Old 5th June 2013   #9
mewsie
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 5
Rep: mewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.orgmewsie is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I really should move to Australia.

mewsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013   #10
FX1C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

I can offer this little one a home in a
6'ft x 2.5'ft x 2'ft tank - next year I could plan breeding this one with the best match (after seeking advice - I'm not up on axolotl genetics just yet)
- I have many lotls here with diverse bloodlines & most colour types.

The best thing is I'm in Sydney (Epping) & happy to give you visitation rights

PM me if you want to discuss this & come up with a plan :)

I have to admit seeing this post earlier & thinking I wish there was something like that near me - had no idea you were in the same city so happy!

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2013   #11
Neil C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Neil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and informationNeil C has given consistently good advice and information

Great looking axolotl Rachel! Let us all know where she ends up.

Regards Neil

Neil C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013   #12
Travis
(Traxolotl)

Nationality:
Comments: 3
Rep: Traxolotl has given good advice and informationTraxolotl has given good advice and information

She does look beautiful, I say keep her. She looks like a mosaic anyways, and if that's true you cant prove a gene out for that. I guess you could sell her, but since you're attached and she's so special I say just keep her no matter what. :)

Old 8th June 2013   #13
Jasper
(jasper408)

Nationality:
Rep: jasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and informationjasper408 has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxolotl View Post
She does look beautiful, I say keep her. She looks like a mosaic anyways, and if that's true you cant prove a gene out for that. I guess you could sell her, but since you're attached and she's so special I say just keep her no matter what. :)
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-beg...metamorph.html

Jacob had one very similar, and was able to get some offspring that looked similar. I'm assuming it's just a simple recessive.

jasper408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2013   #14
Dipsy
(Dipsy66)

Nationality:
Comments: 15
Rep: Dipsy66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki71 View Post
I can offer this little one a home in a
6'ft x 2.5'ft x 2'ft tank - next year I could plan breeding this one with the best match (after seeking advice - I'm not up on axolotl genetics just yet)
- I have many lotls here with diverse bloodlines & most colour types.

The best thing is I'm in Sydney (Epping) & happy to give you visitation rights

PM me if you want to discuss this & come up with a plan :)

I have to admit seeing this post earlier & thinking I wish there was something like that near me - had no idea you were in the same city so happy!

<3 >o_o< <3
I'd say if you are determined to sell her, give Nikki a shout...the tank sounds huge and, as Nikki is in the same city as you, and if you get visiting rights too, you'll never actually lose contact.

If you're having doubts though, don't do it and regret it. I don't envy you the decision either way. But let us all know the outcome.

Good luck.

Dipsy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2013   #15
FX1C
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: FX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgFX1C is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org

Any update on this little one?
Have you made a decision or come up with a monetary figure?

Did you still want to get a golden?

<3 >o_o< <3

FX1C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, harlequin, piebald, selling