The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 26th August 2005   #1
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Seems this is about breeding, are there any breeders out there who have/get harlequin or piebald coloured axolotls??? Does anyone know of a breeder who does??? I am willing to import from other countries if I need to.
Please?? Anyone?????

Old 26th August 2005   #2
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Rita, there aren't any. Harlequins and piebalds are mutations, and aren't necessarily 'bred'. If there were any people breeding them, you'd have to get in line for offspring, I'm afraid.

Old 26th August 2005   #3
rheann

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hey Rita, I called Ward's. They only have gold, white with black eyes and wild types right now. They are all around an inch long, so very tiny. I placed another order for one just a few minutes ago. he will be shipped off Monday and arrive Wednesday. They don't have any Harlequins or Piebalds I'm afraid. sorry Click the image to open in full size. but all of their others are very healthy and perfect specimens! ^_^

Old 27th August 2005   #4
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Thanks anyway Rheann.
I know that piebalds and harlequins are mutations, but some axolotls carry that mutation, and will be more prone to having offspring with that mutation, which is what I'm hoping to find that someone has, even if I have to wait in line for one. I've only ever seen a one piebald in Australia, but unfortunately I didn't have anything set up, and so couldn't get it. Click the image to open in full size. But if anyone knows of someone who does have axolotls who carry the mutation, I would gladly wait in a line if I had to.

Old 27th August 2005   #5
hayley-jane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Can someone please post a picture here of a harlequin and piebald as I have no idea what they look like.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 28th August 2005   #6
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Here are the piebald axies from my college.

Old 28th August 2005   #7
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Old 28th August 2005   #8
hayley-jane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

wow

is the dark area always on their face?

Old 29th August 2005   #9
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

No, piebaldism is just general splotches of color on an otherwise white animal. Or the other way around. It's quite random.

Old 31st August 2005   #10
shane

Gallery Images:
Comments:

thats so amazing! i never knew it was like that in axolotls, ive seen piebald snakes which are pretty amazing too. is it noticable from birth that they are piebald?

Old 1st September 2005   #11
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Piebaldism becomes obvious at the same time as any other colouration becomes obvious in the babies, so it depends on the axolotl really.
Hey, Claire, your college wouldn't happen to have any piebalds that they'd be willing to sell me, would they?? (I'd imagine that they'd be trying to keep them for themselves though. lols)

Old 1st September 2005   #12
joan

Gallery Images:
Comments:

You'd seriously play hell trying to import axolotls into Australia. I'd chalk it up right next to impossible, unless you were a serious researcher. In that case, it's just improbable.

Old 3rd September 2005   #13
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I know... Stupid quarantine laws!!!! Well, I'll just have to keep looking around Aus then...Click the image to open in full size.

Old 3rd September 2005   #14
claire

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Rita - i dont actually go to college no more and doubt they would get rid of their piebald axies. i dont really think they know how rare they are to be honest.lol. all of the babies that have survived from these piebald axies have never been piebald. they were a very pinky coloured leucistic. bless.

Old 4th September 2005   #15
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Aww. How cute.
Oh wells, I'll just keep looking around. Eventually I'll find one. Click the image to open in full size.
Thanks though.

Old 5th September 2005   #16
lisa

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Sorry to ruin your hopes Rita, I've had axies for 5 years, and Ive been keeping my eye out for weird axies in melbourne. Every week I go to 4 - 5 aquarium stores, and I've never seen a piebald or harlequin. I understand they are extremely rare. Which is unfortunate as I would absolutely love a piebald, they're so gorgeous.
I've only come across a few people who have them, and they've all been in the US or england. And Aus quarantine ruins any chance of us importing axies or eggs.

Old 5th September 2005   #17
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

I know. Damn quarantine laws.
I have seen one piebald axie in Aus. It was up in Brisbane somewhere a couple of years back, but I don't think that it was for sale, unfortunately.

Old 15th September 2005   #18
melanie

Gallery Images:
Comments:

hello there! I have about 50 hatchlings. they are only a couple of weeks old but a couple of them look like they have those splotches. they may not be but I'll let you know if they do. I'm in melbourne.

Old 15th September 2005   #19
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Oh yes. Please keep us informed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 21st September 2005   #20
rita

Gallery Images:
Comments:

Hey Melanie,
Are any of the babies harlequins or piebalds??
(sorry, I've just been after one for ages, and so an opportunity to get one is something I don't want to let slip!!)Click the image to open in full size.

Tags
harlequin, piebald

(View-All Members who have read this thread since 22nd August 2019, 13:27 (Set) (Clear)

There are no names to display.