The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 21st May 2014   #1
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 4
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information
Cool Unusual Coloration: Chimera or Harlequin?

Hi Everyone! I recently noticed that one of my hatchlings has unusual coloring. It looks as if it could be perhaps a chimera or harlequin! I am so excited to see how it turns out! What do y'all think?

Just today, I posted pics of it in the forum's photo gallery.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/members...harlequin.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	little gem3.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	37561   Click image for larger version

Name:	little gem7.jpg
Views:	2458
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	37562   Click image for larger version

Name:	little gem6.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	37563  

Old 22nd May 2014   #2
auntiejude
Axolotl Enthusiast

Nationality:
Comments: 0
Rep: auntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgauntiejude is considered an Authority at Caudata.org
Default Re: Unusual Coloration: Chimera or Harlequin?

He's not a harlequin, he may well be a chimera - but 2 different shades of wildtype fused together rather than leucistic and wildtype.

Old 22nd May 2014   #3
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Rep: Bette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and informationBette has given good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntiejude View Post
He's not a harlequin, he may well be a chimera - but 2 different shades of wildtype fused together rather than leucistic and wildtype.
Thank you auntiejude -
Is this something that is not usually seen? I've just heard of the leucy/wild type chimera.

Old 22nd May 2014   #4
rachel1

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information

Any chimera is pretty rare, and having one growing and developing normally is even less common. A chimera can be a combination of any two colors that the parents can produce. It occurs when two separate eggs fuse into one, so the animal that results is half one animal and half another. It is most obvious when there are two different colors. If both halves were the same color, you may not even be able to tell it is chimeric. I had a group of eggs I sold with 2 chimeras- a Leucy/melanoid and a Leucy/wild. Only the second survived, and it is developing very well. I'll see if I can figure out how to post the pics she texted me.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #5
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel1 View Post
Any chimera is pretty rare, and having one growing and developing normally is even less common. A chimera can be a combination of any two colors that the parents can produce. It occurs when two separate eggs fuse into one, so the animal that results is half one animal and half another. It is most obvious when there are two different colors. If both halves were the same color, you may not even be able to tell it is chimeric. I had a group of eggs I sold with 2 chimeras- a Leucy/melanoid and a Leucy/wild. Only the second survived, and it is developing very well. I'll see if I can figure out how to post the pics she texted me.
Thank you for the information! It would be so awesome to see those photos of the other chimeras.

Old 22nd May 2014   #6
Jeff
(Jonjey)
Banned

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Jonjey has a given some bad advice or info, or has behaved inappropriately

That's a very rare and expensive axolotl you have there, if he lives you could cash in big time. Some might keep him, cause it's not every day you can say you have a chimera axolotl.... But a g bar for an axolotl does sound nice doesn't it?

Jonjey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #7
rachel1

Nationality:
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information

Here are the 2 chimeras out of my egg clutch. See how on the first the black side has grown faster than the white side, causing it to curl? That's pretty common on chimeras, and is a frequent cause of death. Second pic is wild/leucy still and egg, and third is the same animal now. Photo credit to Lotlladywho.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG951512.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	37577   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	37578   Click image for larger version

Name:	image (2).jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	37579  

Old 22nd May 2014   #8
Lianne

Nationality:
Rep: Lianne has shown reliable knowledge

Quote:
See how on the first the black side has grown faster than the white side, causing it to curl? That's pretty common on chimeras, and is a frequent cause of death
Wow, I never knew this, how interesting! I wonder how this all works physiologically.

Lianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014   #9
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjey View Post
That's a very rare and expensive axolotl you have there, if he lives you could cash in big time. Some might keep him, cause it's not every day you can say you have a chimera axolotl.... But a g bar for an axolotl does sound nice doesn't it?
That may be so, but I would love to keep him or her & see what would result from a breeding!
Hopefully, the little one will continue to thrive. When I know the sex, perhaps I might be able to obtain another of the opposite sex... I can hope, right? ;-)

Old 22nd May 2014   #10
Jeff
(Jonjey)
Banned

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
That may be so, but I would love to keep him or her & see what would result from a breeding!
Hopefully, the little one will continue to thrive. When I know the sex, perhaps I might be able to obtain another of the opposite sex... I can hope, right? ;-)
Well I'm pretty sure chimera isn't a gene but a mutation or even deformity? Two axolotl eggs happened to fuse together to make a chimera, so whatever those two axolotls genes are are what the genes would be as the passed on to the next generation. I could be wrong on this but that's what I would assume is the case.

Old 22nd May 2014   #11
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonjey View Post
Well I'm pretty sure chimera isn't a gene but a mutation or even deformity? Two axolotl eggs happened to fuse together to make a chimera, so whatever those two axolotls genes are are what the genes would be as the passed on to the next generation. I could be wrong on this but that's what I would assume is the case.
Does anyone know how this works for sure?

Old 22nd May 2014   #12
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Here are the 2 chimeras out of my egg clutch. See how on the first the black side has grown faster than the white side, causing it to curl? That's pretty common on chimeras, and is a frequent cause of death. Second pic is wild/leucy still and egg, and third is the same animal now. Photo credit to Lotlladywho.
Thanks rachel1! That is so cool. The third pic shows a very nice specimen.

Old 22nd May 2014   #13
rachel1

Nationality:

The breeding is an interesting topic! It is a developmental error, where two eggs somehow manage to be combined into one early on, and it is unlikely to be genetically heritable . It has been done intentionally in lab settings for research purposes, but naturally occurring chimeras are rare. What's interesting is that hypothetically you could get one gonad from each half animal in the chimera, so potentially it could have two separate sets of genetic material that could be passed on to offspring.

Old 22nd May 2014   #14
Jeff
(Jonjey)
Banned

Nationality:

Quote:
The breeding is an interesting topic! It is a developmental error, where two eggs somehow manage to be combined into one early on, and it is unlikely to be genetically heritable . It has been done intentionally in lab settings for research purposes, but naturally occurring chimeras are rare. What's interesting is that hypothetically you could get one gonad from each half animal in the chimera, so potentially it could have two separate sets of genetic material that could be passed on to offspring.
What if one half was a male and the other a female?

Old 22nd May 2014   #15
rachel1

Nationality:

Again, hypothetically possible, although I don't know enough about axolotl developmental biology to know when sex determination occurs and what factors are at play. I would imagine the reproductive tract would be pretty wonky , and probably not functional. Here's a male/female chimeric cardinal I found online, photo by Brian Peer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	37581  

Old 22nd May 2014   #16
LadyAquarius
(Bette)
Prolific Member

Nationality:

Quote:
Again, hypothetically possible, although I don't know enough about axolotl developmental biology to know when sex determination occurs and what factors are at play. I would imagine the reproductive tract would be pretty wonky , and probably not functional. Here's a male/female chimeric cardinal I found online, photo by Brian Peer.
Wow, crazy pic!

Old 22nd May 2014   #17
nai live
(xxianxx)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Comments: 7
Rep: xxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgxxianxx is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Quote:
The breeding is an interesting topic! It is a developmental error, where two eggs somehow manage to be combined into one early on, and it is unlikely to be genetically heritable .
The same people seem to have chimeras thrown up occasionally by their bloodlines whilst most people will never see one, this would indicate their is a genetic componant.

Old 23rd May 2014   #18
rachel1

Nationality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxianxx View Post
The same people seem to have chimeras thrown up occasionally by their bloodlines whilst most people will never see one, this would indicate their is a genetic componant.
Ooh, that's really interesting. It seems like it would be a random occurrence looking at it from a developmental standpoint. But there is a lot about genetics that remains to be learned! It would make sense-there are other developmental happenings that have a genetic component, like the probability of having twins in humans. Now I'm not gonna want to sell any eggs out of this pair, so I can check every single one to see if I get another chimera!

Old 23rd May 2014   #19
Dunny

Nationality:
Rep: Dunny has started on the right path

Talking about twins in humans. My fiance is an identical twin and her second pregnancy produced identical twin boys. Talking about weird genetic taking place.

Dunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2014   #20
rachel1

Nationality:

Bette, I want to see more pics as it grows! It looks like it's gonna turn out pretty unique!

Tags
axolotl, chimera, color, harlequin