The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl Eggs, Larvae & Breeding Eggs everywhere, how did that happen? Will it be albino or wildtype?

Old 2nd February 2018   #1
Egfi224

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Egfi224 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Triggering spawning for a pregnant mama

Hello,

I have a mama that's looking pretty round (read: huge)! her appetite is ridiculous so I thought she was just fat.. but then I discovered that she isn't quite at the age where they start to fill out and she looks very pregnant! It must be uncomfortable.

I have 2 males in my tank (just discovered this), and two and a half days ago they were the most active I've seen them in weeks! (We had a cold spell overnight). They were chasing her around and pushing her around.. and their bulges were HUGE! However I didn't find and spermatophores and she hasn't laid any eggs yet, so I don't think this attempt was successful on either part.

The males are back to normal but I want babies and I would also like to relieve this fat mama from her eggs!

Is there anything I can do to get them to spawn soon? Like doing a massive water change and replacing the water with slightly colder water? I know that separating them and fridging the female for a few weeks can be effective to get HER ready, but she already has the eggs!

Let me know if there's anything that can be done!

Egfi224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2018   #2
MEEX

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: MEEX has started on the right path
Default Re: Triggering spawning for a pregnant mama

A water change sometimes brings mine on, but it's not guaranteed, they can stay fat for ages.

I hang strips of netting for them to spawn on, they sometimes get the right idea and it helps with harvesting but as often as not they'll do it anywhere and everywhere.
Nature being the way it is, taking the net out sometimes makes them spawn too, lol.

MEEX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axolotl, egg bound, pregnant, spawning