The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 1 Week Ago   #1
FeraliGabriel
(FeraliGabriel)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: FeraliGabriel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is my axolotl a picky eater?

Hi, Everyone, im new here.
Im also new to Axolotls in general, i got mine a week ago, his name is Regis. I have been having problems feeding him. He seems to only eat the pellets when they hit the right spot in his field of vision, and after they fall he ignores them unless there is a pile of food. I've been told to feed him 3 pellets a day, and its a hard time doing that. I bought frozen Bloodworms, it seems to have worked in the same way, he will snap at them only when they are falling near his face, and after one try he will not move even if some fall in his face. I'd like to know if i should just leave the bloodworms there or if he will eat them later, or if there is any way to change this behavior of his so that he eats like a healthy Axolotl.

Thanks for all the help.
(The pic is from when he had food on his face but still didnt eat it)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Regis.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	55809  

FeraliGabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #2
KumquatSquats

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: KumquatSquats has started on the right path
Default Re: Is my axolotl a picky eater?

That's pretty normal, they don't have the fastest reflexes and some seem to have better senses than others when it comes to finding food. when I feed pellets I have the same problem, I ended up just deciding to either use a feeding dish or I pinch 1-2 pellets and hold them just under the tank surface, wiggling my fingers above them until the notice normally helps, or I just hold the pellet in my feeding tongs and drop it right on top of their heads.

I find earthworms easier to feed since they don't fall apart after being submerged like pellets do, bloodworms were the messiest food in my opinion.