The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Axolotl General Discussion Open axolotl forum: if it doesn't fit in the sub-topics then post it here.

Old 23rd July 2018   #1
TheYetiQueen

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: TheYetiQueen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help! Picky eater!

I need ideas/suggestions on how to get my axolotl onto a sustainable diet. I've had him for nearly 3 weeks now. He's a little over a year old, 8 inches. The chick I got him from only fed him bloodworms. I know this is not a sustainable food source. I've been attempting to get him on earthworms but he refuses. I feed him about every other day. I use tongs. I fed him bloodworms the first 2-3 times while he was adjusting to his new tank. Then decided to try him on earthworms.
At first I gave him a smaller earthworm whole and he sucked it up and then spit it out. Then I read that some axolotls don't like the taste of the slime worms excrete so the next time I fed him, I ran a worm under hot water for a second to kill it, then cold water to rinse away any bitter taste, then cut it into smaller pieces. He ate one tiny bit and then refused to eat the rest of it.
I waited 4 days in between feeding him thinking maybe if he's hungry enough, he'll eat. Nope.
I've now resorted to putting a few bloodworms on the tongs with a piece of earthworm. It's working.... kind of. He's catching on to the trick and now refusing to eat that too.
I'm worried he's too skinny and might not be getting the nutrients he needs.
Thanks in advance for any help!

TheYetiQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018   #2
Hayley
(Hayleyy)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: Hayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.orgHayleyy is a well respected, valued and knowledgeable member of Caudata.org
Default Re: Help! Picky eater!

What kind of earthworms are you trying? If you can, get your hands on some nightcrawlers (or if you have friends who are avid fishers they may be able to lend some) and give them a go. In my experience axies find them irresistible. You will probably need to cut them up into pieces the width of the axolotls head.

Hayleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018   #3
tundrabadger

Nationality:
Rep: tundrabadger is an unknown quantity at this point

This is exactly the right time of year for buying night crawlers, find places in your area that sell fishing tackle, give them a call and ask if they have live bait, if they do there's probably a fridge full of nightcrawlers. They will probably be huge, but i hope to one day be as excited about anything as my axolotls get about them.

tundrabadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2018   #4
strawberrie

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 4
Rep: strawberrie is an unknown quantity at this point

You could also try blanching any worms, my little guy was pretty picky about that. Nightcrawlers produce a clear mucus that, while not as strong as red wigglers, is pretty gross to touch and makes them hard to manage. Cutting them up and then blanching them has worked well for me.

Other than that, just take it slow. You could probably try mixing some pellets in to his diet too, mine loves the hikari sinking carnivore pellets more than anything else, which surprised me!

strawberrie is offline   Reply With Quote