New Loti!!!

Spudcula

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, New here and i just recently got a new juvenile axolotl! his/her name is Spud and shes spoiled rotten already, she gets a cube of freeze dried blood worms every other day. I'm currently in college with a marine biologist as my reference for all my husbandry questions. my herd of goldfish in my ten gallon are wonderful but with my loti I had to do my research shes in a 5 gallon cause shes only a few inches long. The plan is the graduate her to the 10 gallon and my goldfish to a 20.

so i do have a few questions for all of you professionals,
1. what is her color morph or her predicted ? i know shes young and could change but I've noticed small flecks of color on her and I'm not sure if its her color variation or something serious (photos attached for reference).
2. I have thanksgiving break coming up, and i was wondering if should take her back home with me and disturb the tank or should i keep her here? her tank will still be regulated but the only issue is the feedings since it would only be a total of 4 days.with the goldfish its easy cause of the vacation feeders... but you can't exactly do that with blood worms. so opinions?
3. how should i go about cleaning? shes currently in a planted sand tank and i get the poo out and water changes and make should to do constant water tests.
4. Also any general advice for a newbie?

Also i forgot to mention my university has a herpitarium that breeds axies (not where i bought her) but just another place of reference for my axie questions.

Thanks for all the help!

Attachments

• IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 214
  • IMG_1098.jpg
    IMG_1098.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_1012.jpg
    IMG_1012.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
Hello, New here and i just recently got a new juvenile axolotl! his/her name is Spud and shes spoiled rotten already, she gets a cube of freeze dried blood worms every other day. I'm currently in college with a marine biologist as my reference for all my husbandry questions. my herd of goldfish in my ten gallon are wonderful but with my loti I had to do my research shes in a 5 gallon cause shes only a few inches long. The plan is the graduate her to the 10 gallon and my goldfish to a 20.

so i do have a few questions for all of you professionals,
1. what is her color morph or her predicted ? i know shes young and could change but I've noticed small flecks of color on her and I'm not sure if its her color variation or something serious (photos attached for reference).
The pics are out of focus and I don't see what you're referring to.
2. I have thanksgiving break coming up, and i was wondering if should take her back home with me and disturb the tank or should i keep her here? her tank will still be regulated but the only issue is the feedings since it would only be a total of 4 days.with the goldfish its easy cause of the vacation feeders... but you can't exactly do that with blood worms. so opinions?
Leave them. For only 4 days they will be fine. Maybe give them an extra fat worm before you go.
3. how should i go about cleaning? shes currently in a planted sand tank and i get the poo out and water changes and make should to do constant water tests.
I spot clean poops with a turkey baster. It's the common method. I have snails and ghost shrimp and the filter to clean up the rest between water changes.
4. Also any general advice for a newbie?
1. Watch them often. This way you get a baseline for behavior and catch problems early.
2. In that size a tank, the more water changes the better. When full grown one should be in a 20 gallon long tank at least.
3. They love to hid during the day so make sure there's at least 2 pvc pipes or caves if you have the $$$.
4. I found keeping the tank cool (below 68 F) to be a challenge bested with a fan blowing over the water.

Also i forgot to mention my university has a herpitarium that breeds axies (not where i bought her) but just another place of reference for my axie questions.

Thanks for all the help!

Welcome to the forum! I've only had my Axies for a year but I'll weigh in here anyway.

Spud is terribly cute! Where did you find a yellow morph?

Last edited:
You have such a cute lotl! I would say she's a golden albino, if you're worried about the flecks of lighter colour, shine a light and if they reflect they are a normal skin pigment called iridophores.

She looks juvenile and needs to eat everyday if not twice a day. I would take her with you. 4 days without food could make Her terribly skinny and nutrition is important in growing axolotls as it can affect her as she grows.

Earthworms are much better as a staple, if they are too big you can always snip them. If you set up a worm farm you'll hardly ever gave to buy food again :)

I agree with Hayley, it would be best to take Spud with you since he/she is still so little and needs to be fed every day. Even just a few liter tub will do fine during the break and you can leave the tank where it is now so the cycle won't crash. Just remember to do daily 100% water changes to avoid ammonia building up because there isn't any of the good bacteria to take care of it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back