Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My tigers

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
It's been awhile since posted. I asked about set up and species, we'll I kept the half land half water a day they seem to like it, it's easy access to land or water and they enjoy daily dips in the water, even when I rearrange the rocks during water changes they still quickly adjust and find their way in and out, the male I bought a couple of months ago has picked up weight and is healthy, I quarantined him for a month and reintroduced him back to the main tank, they get along great no aggression at all and are always together, I still haven't found out the specific species the male belongs to, I did notice his eyes are golden brown and my eastern female's eyes are bright teal, I'm leaning towards blotched as was suggested on an earlier thread I posted but the blotched patterns I have seen are very different, mine has thick round spots and no stripes

Attachments

• 20141120_230548.jpg
    20141120_230548.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 440
  • 20141120_230448.jpg
    20141120_230448.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 351
  • 20141120_230046.jpg
    20141120_230046.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 358

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
You won't be able to know for sure unless you find out the locality data, but maybe someone else could take a guess.
Though I would add more substrate, I don't think there's very much room to burrow with 2 tigers with half a tank and like 5 inches of substrate. I keep one tiger and it has a slope of 4-9inches.
And I don't know if it's the substrate in the water or a weird reflection of light but that water doesn't look very clean, how often do you do water changes/spot clean?

BIGBODYBEAR

Reaction score
You won't be able to know for sure unless you find out the locality data, but maybe someone else could take a guess.
Though I would add more substrate, I don't think there's very much room to burrow with 2 tigers with half a tank and like 5 inches of substrate. I keep one tiger and it has a slope of 4-9inches.
And I don't know if it's the substrate in the water or a weird reflection of light but that water doesn't look very clean, how often do you do water changes/spot clean?
I change the water every 4-5 days , I use ecoearth coconut fiber and they drag in a lot of it into the water, the water is clean but the ecoearth dragged in colors the water the first night it's changed, I slope around the subrate too that gap you see was an area that was dug up, but your right 3 months of dragging in subrate in the water has reduced inches of it, I'm going to do a full change this week, Tricky part about the species is that I live in Miami FL and the very few tigers I have seen are all easterns very similar to mine, same olive green with stripes, but this grayish spotted species is the first I ha e personally seen, I am sure it's not an eastern but it has me wondering to know if any one is familiar with this subspecies

AmbystoMan

Reaction score
the one with the big black spots should be a Gray Salamander, Ambystoma mavortium diaboli, according to me...

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Both look to be northern species of ambystoma. And to be honest they could be the same species, you can't judge a tiger salamander on color and pattern alone. I've seen sibling tiger salamanders that look totally opposite in pattern and color. Especially in northern species of tiger salamanders I think there's more variation of color and pattern.

Most of the time (non-mavortium/barred) species of tiger salamanders are hard to identify with a few exceptions like California Tigers Salamanders. When you see a yellow and black barred tiger salamander and you assume it's a Ambystoma mavortium your likely to be right. Dark colored tiger salamanders with blotches or with brown or tan spotting can be a number of species.

As far as what species are your tiger salamanders. Where/who did you buy from? How big are they? In 2014 lots of wild caught Ambystoma diaboli or melanostictum where available for months in the pet trade.

C

Cliygh and Mia

Also do any of them have names? Like princess tiger lily if one is a girl :p

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1