Can my Axolotl eat worms from the fishing store?

will21

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello
My axolotl loves worms but it is hard go out in my yard and find worms everyday. I was wondering if I could just buy worms from the bait shop? I am not sure if those worm have bad chemicals on them like the crickets often do at bait and tackle shops?
Thanks

I use red wigglers from walmart. I have what I call my "worm factory" that I use to breed them. I went to walmart yesterday to get a few more worms to add and they were out, so I'm glad I have them breeding:) what I do is take one of those big, flat (maybe 5inches deep) rubbermaid tubs. I shread up strips of newspaper and add that and a equal amount of top soil, that i get from my local hardware store (ace) to the bottom of the tub. Then I fill the tup the rest of the way with top soil and add the worms. Every now and then I throw in some old lettuce or whatever else compostable I have in my fridge, to feed the worms. The newspaper acts as a breeding zone for the worms to lay eggs and hide. In a few months you should notice little baby worms. Everynow and then I add in another tub of worms just to make sure I keep my population up since I feed my worms to a number of animals. I hope this helps! Sorry if any of this was confusing.

Ok great thank you
I will try it out that's is such a good idea thank you

Those of us that use nightcrawlers as food, that's pretty much where we get them - bait stores, bait sections of sports stores.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back