Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Ommatotriton in US?

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
We really need someone to import about 100 animals from a couple different lines.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There used to be, but since they can be a challenging species to keep it seems that they might have possibly died out.

donatkin

Reaction score
I used to import a lot of tropical fish. It seemed very easy to get through the paper work. I'm guessing it would be the exporting would be the hang up. I'm going to contact some of my old exporters and see how hard it would be.

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I used to keep them. The juveniles are not real easy to raise up. Imported eggs need the same paperwork as imported animals. With the present regulatory attitude it would not be good to get involved with smuggling.

FrogEyes

Reaction score
In general, USA regulations are the difficulty, as all live animals must come through particular ports, with particular paperwork, fees, and inspections. Each individual egg is one animal, and anything 8 or more of a "kind" [as in "salamander" of any species] counts as a commercial import - which demands a $100 permit and potentially higher costs. So, 8 eggs from anywhere outside the USA requires air freight, $100 permit, inspection fees, possibly port exemption fees [doubtful, coming from Europe]. Won't be cheap.

On the other hand, Canada has far fewer regulations in this matter. Animals can be imported to Canada much more cheaply, then driven over the border for much less than air freight. Which doesn't remove the paperwork. Not advocating really, just highlighting the issues associated with USA import/export.

mr cyclone

Reaction score
I know someone who mailed eggs last year labelled ommatotriton vittatus eggs on the deceleration for customs VIA Royal Mail , there was no problems

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have heard of people shipping salamanders to and from the U.S. without permits lots of times. I choose not to participate in it. It is not ethical. On top of that they put their collection at great risk if they are caught.

JM29

Reaction score
There used to be, but since they can be a challenging species to keep it seems that they might have possibly died out.

So, there are solutions to make this species travel, but it seems difficult and costly. Is it worth?
Before trying this, it's necessary to understand why the previous animals died out and not make the same mistakes. Otherwise, the next animals will also die out.

manderkeeper

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if there were a big demand to import them. Unless the average person at an expo saw one in full crest, I imagine them writing it off as a rather ordinary newt.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
If I came up with the money to do that I would be greedy and hog them all spending my nights awake staring at them.....LOL.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be surprised if there were a big demand to import them. Unless the average person at an expo saw one in full crest, I imagine them writing it off as a rather ordinary newt.

I think you could say that about most Triturus, Lissotriton, Ichthiosaura, etc in their terrestrial faze. One of the things I love about the hobby is seeing the fruits of my labour in the breeding season. Only animals that are fed and housed well enough throughout the year will develop the best secondary sexual characteristics that we all love so much.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!