Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

This is never right O_o

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to buy some Aquasafe yesterday but picked up the wrong bottle by mistake and ended up with a product called Easybalance instead. I read the label before I swapped it and couldn't believe my eyes, it claims to replace the need for any water changes...for six months! Surely it can't be healthy for fish to be swimming round in their own waste, even if Easybalance does what it claims? I don't know about anybody else, as a kid learning how to keep an aquarium the importance of water changes was hammered in to me as one of the golden rules of fishkeeping.
If it's too much effort to lug a few buckets of water once in a while then maybe fishkeeping in general isn't for you?
I'm interested to hear what others think about it.

Attachments

• SAM_6371.jpg
    SAM_6371.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 255
  • SAM_6373.jpg
    SAM_6373.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 201

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I went to buy some Aquasafe yesterday but picked up the wrong bottle by mistake and ended up with a product called Easybalance instead. I read the label before I swapped it and couldn't believe my eyes, it claims to replace the need for any water changes...for six months! Surely it can't be healthy for fish to be swimming round in their own waste, even if Easybalance does what it claims? I don't know about anybody else, as a kid learning how to keep an aquarium the importance of water changes was hammered in to me as one of the golden rules of fishkeeping.
If it's too much effort to lug a few buckets of water once in a while then maybe fishkeeping in general isn't for you?
I'm interested to hear what others think about it.

I used to add this stuff to my tropical fish tanks when I was breeding livebearers, however, I used it to help to keep the water clean for say 6 weeks between water changes. I wouldn't even think of leaving a fishtank uncleaned for six months! Water changes were definitely one of the things that were said to be most important when I started up with fish.
Personally, I actually quite enjoy water changes. It gives me a chance to change things around in the tank (and stops me being lazy and just sitting around, lol).

Stuart

sde

Reaction score
That is honestly kind of comical. And no, it isn't that big of a deal to haul some bucket every week.

Agreed.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know, if sombody was telling me about this product before I'd seen it I'd swear they were pulling my leg!

jAfFa CaKe

Reaction score
I have seen this stuff before and used it on a guppy tank. I tested the water, and the nitrates were gone! I tested the water a week later... And there were toxic levels of the stuff. It appears to just hide it from test kits.

Coastal Groovin

Reaction score
Water changes every 6 weeks with fish or Amphibians? You need to do that every week. Unless you have live plants and you can go every 2-3 weeks depending on tank size and bio load. There is no substitute for regular water changes.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't help having entry level aquarium books that often describe nitrate as harmless. Ok, it doesn't kill things stone dead like ammonia will, but in my experience raising baby angel fish and other Cichlids, it will stunt growth and also seems to act as an appetite suppressant.
I don't know about newt species, but the axolotls I had seemed even less tolerant of it than most fish I've kept. Outbreaks of gill fungus were usually a sign that I'd let water quality slip and almost always cleared up on their own once things were back to normal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1