Floating ADFs?

allied123

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've noticed my adfs floating sometimes? it's definitely a controlled thing, if I bother them they shoot right back down but I have caught them several times lately just floating at the top...Idk if my tank parameters are relevant here but I haven't really kept track as the tank has been cycling, I have just been doing a 90% water change every couple days.

Mine like to hang out in the plants just under the surface of the water, especially when there's a leaf that folds over the top to make a froggy cave. They seem to like being able to stick up their nose for a breath without requiring any effort. I wouldn't be concerned unless they are having a hard time diving. Definitely keep an eye on parameters while cycling, but as long as everything is within normal range I wouldn't worry too much about it.

That's how mine like to sleep. The laziest little things on Earth, I swear, lol. I put plastic plants in the tank so they float on the surface for them. They crawl into the plant and sleep with their faces poking out of the water so they don't have to surface for air. They always do it, especially after eating a big meal. They also sleep behind the water filter by standing on the suction cups at the back, while pressing against the glass. I don't get how that could even be remotely comfortable, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back