Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Notophthalmus viridescens piaropicola

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I will be getting some CB juvenile N.v.piarpicola/Peninsula Newts next week. I know how to care for them etc, but I'd like to hear about people's experience with this species. My understanding is that they don't have the red eft stage like other subspecies, and are almost entirely aquatic.

Lertsch

Reaction score
I have three that I got about 3-4 months ago as juvies. One is still less than an inch and one just over. Yes, from what I read they don't have an eft stage and mine appear to be staying fully aquatic. They also have a tendency to be neotenic more than other notos (I think one of mine might be).

In my limited experience, other than that they seem to be just like other notos.

Chinadog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can't wait to see them Stu, I really like them, but their reputation for dropping dead has always put me off. I've only ever seen half dead WC ones over here.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
I have three that I got about 3-4 months ago as juvies. One is still less than an inch and one just over. Yes, from what I read they don't have an eft stage and mine appear to be staying fully aquatic. They also have a tendency to be neotenic more than other notos (I think one of mine might be).

In my limited experience, other than that they seem to be just like other notos.

They do sound pretty easy to care for, and apparently will grow quickly when kept aquatic - like most species.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Can't wait to see them Stu, I really like them, but their reputation for dropping dead has always put me off. I've only ever seen half dead WC ones over here.

I've never actually seen any before, not even in a pet/fish shop. I think their reputation for dropping dead is justified with WC N.viridescens but CB seem to do very well. I know that the ones I will be recieving are at least F1 but they could even be F2 or F3. The person they are coming from has had great success breeding and raising them. I too am looking forward to seeing them, I will make sure to post pictures once they're settled in (I'll be getting those photos of my male I.a.apuanus that I said I would, too).

C

Cliygh and Mia

Tell us when you get them! (like ii said on an earlier post, I LOVE American newts!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1