Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to the community, few concerns

codyj

Reaction score
Hello everybody,
I am a new owner of axolotl's with a few more on the way. From my research I noted that they are to be fed every other day, but with juveniles of other species it is suggested everyday, so I am unsure whether or not to feed them daily until they are older. Another concern I have is that one of the Axolotl's I received either has no eyes:eek: or they are white. I noticed that it is notorious for swimming into the glass and the hide, not sure whether it is blind or still adjusting to the environment.:confused:
Thanks,
Cody

Skudo09

Reaction score
Basically you want to aim for the axolotl's belly to be as wide as the width of their head. If their belly width is smaller than the width of their head, increase how often you feed them. For juveniles I would feed every day. Once they become adults, you can decrease their feeds to every other day or even every two to three days.

Are you able to post a picture of the eyes? Axolotls normally don't have great eyesight and don't have good brakes and tend to run into tank walls and objects even when they have normal eyes so I don't think that is anything to worry about

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1