Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What is this???

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Inspired by Morg's albino T.cristatus thread I thought I'd make this;
I know what these are (sort of!) but I'm interested to see what other forum members make of it.
Anybody that I have spoken to about this is not allowed to say!!
They are obviously Triturus sp, so no points for guessing that!

I'll get my camera out in the next couple of days and get some better photographs too.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
They are about 10-12cm/4-5 inches and are subadults. They've got quite a bit more growing to do.

sde

Reaction score
If I know what this is, then it isn't fair. No one will know what it is if it is one of the unnamed species you got! Except me, because you told be. You call it a Triturus nov. species. I think I am right but don't know for sure, but if I am, I am calling unfair play on this one ;)

Stupot1610

Reaction score
If I know what this is, then it isn't fair. No one will know what it is if it is one of the unnamed species you got! Except me, because you told be. You call it a Triturus nov. species. I think I am right but don't know for sure, but if I am, I am calling unfair play on this one ;)

Nope! You're wrong! I haven't got my Triturus nov. yet.
Nice try though...

caleb

Reaction score
Yellow on the throat is only usually found in the karelinii group (karelinii, ivanbureschi, 'arntzeni'), but the body is much more slender than is normal for these- more like dobrogicus.

If it is a hybrid, I'd guess ivanbureschi/dobrogicus as ivanbureschi is the only karelinii group species that borders the range of dobrogicus.

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Yellow on the throat is only usually found in the karelinii group (karelinii, ivanbureschi, 'arntzeni'), but the body is much more slender than is normal for these- more like dobrogicus.

If it is a hybrid, I'd guess ivanbureschi/dobrogicus as ivanbureschi is the only karelinii group species that borders the range of dobrogicus.

You're thinking along the right lines, Caleb.
It's only been a day but I may as well say what it is because it's unlikely anyone will be able to guess.

They are Triturus of Dojran Lake. They could be T.ivanbureschi, T.macedonicus, T.karelinii or a mix of two or three of these. To me they look Like T.ivanbureschi but it'll be much easier to tell once the adults have grown their crests - but obviously I won't be able to know for certain.

caleb

Reaction score
They could be T.ivanbureschi, T.macedonicus, T.karelinii or a mix of two or three of these.

They won't be karelinii (in the current, stricter sense)- ivanbureschi is the only species of the karelinii group (in the older, wider sense) that occurs in Europe.

There's an up-to-date map of all the cristatus group on Ben Wielstra's blog, along with some photos of ivanbureschi/macedonicus hybrids from a bit further North, in Serbia:

https://benwielstra.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/triturus-goes-genomics-kind-of/

More photos please!

Stupot1610

Reaction score
They won't be karelinii (in the current, stricter sense)- ivanbureschi is the only species of the karelinii group (in the older, wider sense) that occurs in Europe.

There's an up-to-date map of all the cristatus group on Ben Wielstra's blog, along with some photos of ivanbureschi/macedonicus hybrids from a bit further North, in Serbia:

https://benwielstra.wordpress.com/2014/06/09/triturus-goes-genomics-kind-of/

More photos please!

Thanks Caleb. I had actually already seen the map, I don't know why I thought they could be Karelinii. They look very like T.ivanbureschi but it is likely they have a bit of macedonicus in them. I will get some pictures as soon as I find the time - quite busy at the moment with it being the holidays.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!