Overfeeding!?

Senryo

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
It's hard for me to determine how much to feed this little ones.

I will attach some pictures but:

I have been feeding these little buggers bloodworms (in dutch they're called, red mosquito larvae, so it's confuzzling me) primarily.

I have a starting culture of daphnia, with yeast in a small 20 - 30 liter tank, so I will be feeding these too.

My question though, one's really really fat, I've had these buggers for lets say 3 days now.

I've fed them bloodworms on day one, and daphnia, which there's still a few surviving under spaces they can't get near them, and 1 day nothing, and today halve a cube of bloodworms as well.

Is this too much?

2agm3v6.jpg

This is a 1 meter tank, keep that in mind, I don't know their specific length, but I've been told they're youngsters from last year.

In this picture neither looks very plump to me. In the wild they are pretty thick-bodied and are known for big appetites. They look like juveniles so I would feed them daily until their growth slows down. I'm sure they can handle a day or two without food but might as well keep 'em happy! My juveniles are all about 4-5" long. I feed them each a few large worm sticks OR a couple pinches small pellets (maybe 10?) OR half a cube of frozen bloodworms each, on alternating days for variety. They would happily eat more and constantly nose around for food, but I limit them to filling their bellies once a day. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back