The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Fire-Belly & Sword-Tail Newts (Cynops & Hypselotriton) Perhaps the most famous and frequently bred newts in captivity, the fire-bellied newts and sword-tail newts are well known throughout the world as being excellent, gregarious captives.

Old 23rd April 2015   #1
Dylan
(Dyelon)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: Dyelon has started on the right path
Default C. cyanurus larvae

My Cynops cyanurus just started hatching this week and needless to say I'm very excited, I've heard these guys can be a bit tricky though. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150421_154319-1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	42315  

Dyelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2015   #2
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11
Default Re: C. cyanurus larvae

I would treat them like other Cynops/Hypselotriton. Excellent water quality, plenty of food and stable temperature. It would be worth leaving a few larvae in with their parents, that way, if anything goes wrong with the ones you're raising separately, you will still end up with a few that have fed themselves until they morph.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2015   #3
Dylan
(Dyelon)

Nationality:
Rep: Dyelon has started on the right path

Thanks,
That's the plan for now then. I've seen the parents eat the some of the eggs, how likely is it that they get/ go after one of the larvae?

Dyelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015   #4
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

I can only go with my experience with Cynops pyrrhogaster and to a lesser degree orientalis. Both those species will eat their own eggs, especially females, but I've never once seen them eat the larvae. They seem to instinctively avoid them, even though they will greedily eat other kinds of larvae. Sorry for the late reply, I didn't notice your post. :)

Old 12th May 2015   #5
Chinadog

Nationality:

How are things going with the larvae, Any updates? :)