Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Floating axolotl

RusticNugget

Reaction score
Ive had my axolotl for about 4 months now and recently (within the last 3 days) shes been floating at the top of the tank, occasionally but not often she will go back down to the bottom of the tank. she is still eating when I feed her. at first I thought it was just air so i put her in a bucket of shallow water and she burped a little.
shes also a lot for flacid? before when id take her out of the tank either for a tank swap for because she had air she would flip out at being out of the water for that short time till she was in a bucket or some sort. now she just lays there i my hand when taken out and dosent move if i touch her head while shes floating
im really really worried and dont know what to do

Skudo09

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by 'tank swap'?

Firstly, what are the parameters- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature and PH?
Is she pooing normally? Could she be constipated?
What is her diet?
What substrate is she on?

Sorry for the load of questions but the more information we have, the easier it may be to narrow down what might be going on and what advice we may be able to offer. For the moment, I would keep her in a tub of cool, clean, dechlorinated water (with 100% daily water changes) so you can monitor her closely.

RusticNugget

Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by 'tank swap'?

Firstly, what are the parameters- ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature and PH?
Is she pooing normally? Could she be constipated?
What is her diet?
What substrate is she on?

Sorry for the load of questions but the more information we have, the easier it may be to narrow down what might be going on and what advice we may be able to offer. For the moment, I would keep her in a tub of cool, clean, dechlorinated water (with 100% daily water changes) so you can monitor her closely.

i dont know the parameters. i need to pick up another test kit which im doing tomorrow. her water temperature stays between 16 and 18 degrees.i havent seen her poo or seen any. her diet is axolotl pellets and frozen food made for axolotls/ occasionally bloodworms. she has a barebottom tank

Skudo09

Reaction score
Constipation may be a cause but it may be something else. Sometimes floating can be due to genetic factors or other factors. I would test the water as soon as you have another test kit and post the readings. We may have a better idea from there.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1