The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Store

Testimonials The place to post info about good or bad deals with people and companies. Reading is open to anyone, including unregistered visitors - this means these pages are viewable by anyone so mind your Ps and Qs. Posting is open to Registered Members only.

Old 19th May 2015   #1
Cliygh and Mia
Gallery Images:
Thumbs down Steer away from Petco fruit flies!

The fruit flies I got for my mantis egg cases ACTUALLY COULD FLY! That cause fruit flies to invade our home that JUST NOW died off! If you need fruit flies in a pinch, make sure that they can't get out in your house, or fruit flies will invade your house for 2 years!

Old 20th May 2015   #2
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: rachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and informationrachel1 has given good advice and information
Default Re: Steer away from Petco fruit flies!

Wingless is a recessive mutation, but occasionally winged flies can crop up if the stock isn't maintained well. And since its dominant, it can ruin the whole bloodline. Always give a new culture a good knock and make sure everyone falls when disturbed to avoid a face full of flyers in the future! If anyone is buzzing around in there when you shake them up, open it outside, and away from your face. :) I order my flies from, because I'm too lazy to culture my own. I'm sure mantids would love the flyers, though! Just put the winged flies in the fridge for a couple seconds or so to paralyze them before feeding them out. They'll start flying again as soon as they warm up.

rachel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

fruit flies, petco