Captive Amphibian Sustainable Populations

Stupot1610

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Inspired by a recent discussion about creating a sustainable captive population of amphibians I thought I would make this. It may never work, but at least I'm trying!
The idea being that members post what they are breeding and what they are keeping so that if we are looking to freshen the bloodline of any particular species, (also remembering to retain the integrity of locales) or even just add to groups or starting a new group we can look through this to see if anyone in our relevant countries keeps/breeds that particular species (however I suggest we make separate threads for each continent, perhaps a member from the U.S. could make a thread for the U.S. ??). So, if you are willing to participate;
Post on this thread what you are keeping and what you are breeding, and specify locality of the animals if you have one (no more specific than regions). And give any extra details you feel are necessary, or any suggestions to improve this.
(This applies to all amphibians, but please categorise them into anurans and caudates, or any others.)
Here is mine to start:

Breeding:
Caudata:
Triturus ivanbureschi - Dojran Lake
Triturus cristatus - Kent (CB with paperwork
Triturus dobrogicus macrosoma - Romania
Icthyosaura alpestris alpestris - S. France
Icthyosaura alpestris inexpectatus - S. Italy
Icthyosaura alpestris apuanus
Salamandra salamandra terrestris - N. France
Salamandra atra atra - S. Germany
L. helveticus - N. Scotland (not for trade, as they are native)
L. vulgaris - Central Scotland (not for trade)

Anuran:
Hyla arborea - Germany
Pelophylax lessonae, group one
Pelophylax ridibundus
Bufo bufo - Central Scotland (not for trade)
Rana temporaria - Central Scotland (not for trade)

Keeping (not breeding, currently):
Anuran:
Pelophylax lessonae group 2 & 3
Caudate:
T. macedonicus

Reactions: sde
I have three lists

Possibly breeding: Hyla chrysoscelis, (if I find some females) and Eublepharis macularius (if I get a male)

Trying to breed: Hyla cinerea, Anaxryus fowleri, and Plestiodon fasciatus

Not breeding: everything else I own (Ambystoma Tigrinum, Bombina orientalis, Agalychnis callidryas, Batrachoseps attenuates, and shorkies)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back