Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found some sallys

gregory741

Reaction score
I am at a Friends house and we found 3 eastern newts i cant post a picture because they don't have a camera that i can use they are about 2 inch's long what should i feed them?

C

Cliygh and Mia

To get them to start eating, you first need good care, use one of the other aquariums you mentioned to house them, here is a care-sheet Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt
For foods, to get them to start eating, feed them wax worms to get them to start eating (nothing can resist wax worms) and start feeding them chopped and whole earthworms, sinking newt pellets, and bloodworms. Remember to read the care sheet!

Lertsch

Reaction score
Anytime I've had trouble getting this species to eat chopped/cut up earthworms are my go to. If they are efts that still works good, or any small insect or larvae that moves around to attract them.

jbherpin

Reaction score
Efts will consume springtails, young isopods, and very small worm bits. I prefer to use only the tips. You can also use d. melanogaster, but do not oversaturate the tank/vivaria. This will lead to the newts hiding to avoid over exposure. A good rule of thumb, for terrestrial caudates is that if the prey is so numerous that they are crawling on the newts(at all) the newts will curl in and not demonstrate a feeding response. If they are (green) aquatic stick to daphnia, live worm bits, and a limited amount of flightless fruit flies(D. melanogaster) on the water's surface. Garden worms are harder to collect than buying, but are the most natural food prey you can offer. They are also a staple in the diet. The fruit flies will not be consumed(ordinarily) if drown, so if you offer them, net the uneaten/dead flies out after offering. The worms will survive a day(as long as the water is not stagnant), but care should be taken to remove these as well. Most adult Eastern newts will be quite opportunistic. Brine shrimp are relished, but also will impart an abundance of salt, and should be offered at times, but not a staple. The newts will greedily consume them, but they should be offered sparingly. If you have vernal pools, you can collect fairy shrimp, and these can be offered on a more consistent basis than Brine. You do run a risk of pathogens, but I do know many keepers who will dip-net for live aquatic foods as long as you can be sure the water is stable, and uncorrupted. I hope this helps.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Notophthalmus/N_viridescens.shtml (By Xavier was a good suggestion)

JBear

gregory741

Reaction score
the one's I found are fully aquatic
so I think that they are N. v. viridescens's here's a pic
CIMG5466.jpg

C

Cliygh and Mia

You are right, I think it is the namesake species, the eastern newt, any set-up pics?

Asevernnnn

Reaction score
I actually think it is illegal to take animals from the wild in Ohio, I am unsure if a permit would get around this if I am correct

gregory741

Reaction score
yes I have some pic's
and Aaron I googled it and nothing related so if you find anything pm me
here's 3 of them (we found more after the first post)
CIMG5470.jpg
here's one posing for the camera
CIMG5474.jpg
here's my filter
CIMG5473.jpg
here's a top view
CIMG5472.jpg
here's a front view I got the tank from my dad it's 15 gallons
CIMG5471.jpg

C

Cliygh and Mia

I would add Much more water, and add much more plants. These guys live in well planted areas in the wild, and need the hiding/laying/hunting places.

Niels D

Reaction score
Add a piece of floating cork bark as well, or at least something which they can use to get out of the water for a while. If you add plants, you can also throw in some snails (pond or ramshorne snails). They mostly eat dead material and their feces is more easy for microbes to get rid of than the feces of your newts.

gregory741

Reaction score
Xavier I am planning to go down to the crick near us to get plants soon
and Niels D I will make a float today
and how should I feed them? I seen people putting bowls under water full of worms for axies will that work for these guys?

gregory741

Reaction score
I put some worms in a bowl in the tank I hadn't put any in because I couldn't find any (it had not rained in 2 weeks) as soon as I put it in and put one of the sallys in the bowl he/she looked around and then ate a big fat juicy worm yum!

gregory741

Reaction score
I put worms in the tank today and put the newts in 1 at a time and 3 of them ate a worm also
one of the females looks fat so it looks like the males are doing there job;)

gregory741

Reaction score
I got 3 salamanders to eat today also I went down to the crick and didn't find any plants so I will buy some
where do you get yours?

C

Cliygh and Mia

I know for sure duckweed, but some other people could put their insight

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1