Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl color variation

lalokera

Reaction score
Hello, i was just curious as in how is it that there are different colors in axolotls.
i read in on a website that its because they are hybrid mixed with ambystoma tigrinum.
is this true? also do axolotls every loose the gills?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Axolotls very rarely morph into terrestrial salamanders, they are neotenic and stay aquatic unless treated with hormones to make them morph.

It is true that many generations ago a tiger salamander was used to intorduce the albino genes into the species, but our 'pet' axolotls are only very distantly related to these.

There are 5 main colours of axolotl: wildtype (green/brown), albino (pink/yellow with pale eyes), leucisitc (pink with black eyes), melanoid (grey/black) and copper (red-brown/orange). There is a very good section on axolotl.org, and I wrote an explanation for a Facebook group here.

lalokera

Reaction score
:O thanks alot than probably people in mexico confuse the axolotl with some other salamander i think it might be the ambystoma velasci, because i went to pet shops and they tried to sell me a salamander that sort of looked like an axolotl but didnt have the gills and was verry thin. and also if i have a wild type axolotl can he produce other types ? or will he always produce wild types?....thanks

gregory741

Reaction score
if you have a wild type Its offspring's can have all different coloring

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1