The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Newt and Salamander Help Got a problem? Ill newt? Basic questions? Ask about them here.

Old 4th June 2015   #1
jamessamlev

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Comments: 0
Rep: jamessamlev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Smooth newts in captivity

How would I set these up as I'm looking everywhere for them :/

jamessamlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #2
Izzy
(Izzdelatorre98)

Nationality:
Rep: Izzdelatorre98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Smooth newts in captivity

Have you looked in the For Sale section? You could always post a thread in the Wanted section as well. Best of luck on your search!

Izzdelatorre98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #3
Chinadog

Nationality:
Rep: Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11Chinadog goes to 11

You would just need a cool woodland type terrarium with a small water bowl for most of the year and a weedy aquarium for their breeding season.
I have heard of people keeping them aquatic all year, but in my experience the adults and juveniles are very hydrophobic outside the breeding season, so I don't think forcing them to stay in the water would do them much good.

Chinadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2015   #4
JBear
(jbherpin)

Nationality:
Rep: jbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and informationjbherpin has given consistently good advice and information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinadog View Post
I have heard of people keeping them aquatic all year, but in my experience the adults and juveniles are very hydrophobic outside the breeding season, so I don't think forcing them to stay in the water would do them much good.
In my experience this is all too true. I had a 2:2 group and they were incredibly unhappy when I tried to keep them aquatic. I would imagine it does little to benefit their natural breeding cycle as well.

JBear

-William Shakespeare
jbherpin is offline   Reply With Quote