Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eggs everywhere, is there a dad?

ChristineB

Reaction score
My p. waltl laid eggs. I cleared them out, then they laid more. This is the third day in a row with eggs. Some are light centers, most are dark centers. Brownie seemed to get very plump and then shrink down, and has been curling in a circle near plants; pretty sure she laid some. Both the leucs are very round and both have been hanging around plants. Not sure if I've seen spermatophores or just egg jelly. Behaviorally, all three have been kind of rubbing on each other (newt snuggling!) But nobody has nuptial pads and I haven't seen amplexus. Gussy never sits still, extremely active and has been yawning and doing those goofy vampire arms (hands held up to the sides of the head). A couple of yesterday's eggs I missed have turned solid white.

Here are pics of the newts from a couple days ago. I'm hearing that at least Brownie and Finknottle are female, but trying to pin down if Gussy is male, or just a theatrical female. (Some of today's eggs are on delicate new plantings so I'll probably delay removing and will update if they seem fertile.)

Brownie pics:
christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36896-brownie.jpg

christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36940-brownie-cloaca.jpg

Finknottle pics:
christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36897-finknottle.jpg

christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36941-finknottle-cloaca.jpg

Gussy pics:
christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36898-gussy-front-brownie-behind.jpg

christineb-albums-p-waltl-picture36942-gussy-cloaca.jpg

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Time will tell but if you saw no amplexus I have my doubts. If you want a male let me know.

ChristineB

Reaction score
If the big cloaca looks like it could be female to you, that is good enough for me! Plus it makes sense because it kinda looked like Gussy was laying eggs today. Actually three females is perfect, if they lay eggs like this without a male, I would be quickly overrun with newts if I actually had one! :grin: Maybe next year if I'm done with all my other home improvement projects I'll be ready to take on a giant horde of larvae and want a male.

ChristineB

Reaction score
Great, I didn't expect so much variation in the cloacas on all females, but if they look female to you that's good enough for me! I think if they lay this much without a male, I would be overrun with newts if I actually got a male. :grin: Maybe next year if I'm done with all my home improvement projects I'll think about raising a horde of larvae, but for now my three girls seem just right for their tank: plenty of room but you can always find them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1