Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The ELUSIVE 10 Gallon Long Tank? And other tank related questions!

Icyriah

Reaction score
I have a few questions for you all tonight...
First off, have any of you seen a 10 gallon long tank ever in existence? I've seen measurements for it before and I thought it would be great for a smaller axolotl if I could ever find one! I keep trying to find information and people claim they don't exist anywhere but why would measurements exist for something that isn't made anywhere people know about?
Second, do you know where you can find/order 12 gallon or 15 gallon tanks? My local pet stores (Petco and a private business) only have 16 gallon bowfronts for $80ish :eek: The privately owned pet store told me that they could order a 15 gallon for me, but I don't know how much they cost on average and I don't know if I'll have time in the near future to go in and ask. I'd rather just bust into the $1 per gallon sale at Petco and grab a 10 gal for the time being if it's more than $35 for a 15 gallon...
I'm going to be at a dorm this fall and they won't allow tanks larger than 10 gallons, so I'm going to try to play dumb and say I had no idea it was a 15 gallon tank if I ever get asked.

Creepella

Reaction score
I have a few questions for you all tonight...
First off, have any of you seen a 10 gallon long tank ever in existence? I've seen measurements for it before and I thought it would be great for a smaller axolotl if I could ever find one! I keep trying to find information and people claim they don't exist anywhere but why would measurements exist for something that isn't made anywhere people know about?
Second, do you know where you can find/order 12 gallon or 15 gallon tanks? My local pet stores (Petco and a private business) only have 16 gallon bowfronts for $80ish :eek: The privately owned pet store told me that they could order a 15 gallon for me, but I don't know how much they cost on average and I don't know if I'll have time in the near future to go in and ask. I'd rather just bust into the $1 per gallon sale at Petco and grab a 10 gal for the time being if it's more than $35 for a 15 gallon...
I'm going to be at a dorm this fall and they won't allow tanks larger than 10 gallons, so I'm going to try to play dumb and say I had no idea it was a 15 gallon tank if I ever get asked.

First of all, don't get me started about bowfront tanks! :angry: They're designed only to fit the parts they come with (filter, hood etc.) They're practically impossible to retrofit for a screen top or use with other animals besides fish. I have boxes of the stupid things gathering dust.

Speaking of screen tops, an inexpensive alternative is the sturdy plastic mesh interlocking tiles used for flooring in workshops and garages. You can get them at hardware stores. Two of these tiles locked together fit nicely over a 10 gal tank. I can place a small cooling fan and a recycled hood from one of my 2 gal bowfront tanks on top of it.

I've never heard of a "long" 10 gal. tank. I have three that are just the standard rectangular shape. Mine are 20x10x12 inches (l/w/h).They have plenty of room for a juvenile axie.

A good place to find deals on fish tanks is your local Craigslist. Lots of people sell them there, just make sure to ask them if the tank leaks or was used recently for fish. If you buy one make sure to test it anyway. Sometimes you can get one with a small crack or leak that you can repair with aquarium sealant. Yard sales are another place to find secondhand tanks.

Another place I've seen cheap tanks is Wal-Mart. I was surprised at their selection of aquarium supplies - better than my local Petsmart. If you don't have a Wal-Mart in your area, there are other discount and surplus stores that carry them.

It's hard to say how strict (and knowledgeable) they will be at your dorm. The difference between a rectangular 10 gal vs. 15 gal isn't very noticeable unless the staff knows what to look for.

Icyriah

Reaction score
Thanks! I just went and got a 10 gallon at Petco because of the dollar per gallon sale. Went to the pet store beforehand and asked about the price, it was $48 to order a 15 gallon :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1