Leca as a planted axolotl tank substrate?

simko

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi everyone

Ive been wanting to set up a planted tank for my axolotl, i was thinking about adding leca to the aquarium bottom (if you take leca, boil it, and pour it into cold water, it sinks). I ahve seen some leca pellets that are over 1/2" in diameter, i was wondering if this would be too large for an axolotl to ingest.

I think leca would serve as a good substrate as it is inert, very porous (im hoping this would harbour beneficial bacteria), it looks nice, and has spaces between it which im guessing would allow for plant rooting and gas escape

does anyone have experience using this stuff for a purpose like this?

thanks!

You can't use anything that is small enough to fit into an axolotl's mouth while being too big to ingest. Sand is really the only good option, some people use river rocks but those are a pain to keep clean as they require regular shifting around to get any food/poop that falls under it. I once thought it would be cool to use a sponge sheet cut to fit the exact floor of the aquarium, but never got around to trying it. There are options, but gravel and smaller rocks aren't them. As far as I know Leca is too small as they can eat it and won't be able to digest it, but I'm no professional when it comes to leca knowledge so use your best judgment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back